New Bike, Commence Build Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The point of a Harley is to be comfortable when you ride. Sportsters are neither fast nor comfortable. If you want fast, get a sport bike. If you want comfort get a full size cruiser.

You guys have no idea how much power inside of a harley is held up in the exhaust....

Let me put it to you like this...
stock sportster = 400lbs
Stock CRX = 2200lbs
Gain of header mod = 5hp
gain of header mod = 5hp

Understand? every single pony counts when it comes to bikes..... on harleys it really comes down to the torque to get the bike moving, but the real power above 80-90 for cruising speeds really is what the 2-1 is for.

These are what I ordered a while back from exoticchoppers.com. Sick pipe, especially if its not stock. Won't kill you from noise on the highway. When you do find some pipes you like, remember where your controls are. Some won't work with your foreward controls.

Attachments

• FueliesNTx.jpg
    FueliesNTx.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 352
  • fuelie5.jpg
    fuelie5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 339
I like that^ I was thinking about bending something up like that, and baffling it. Just wrap it most of the way down. I know someone who owns a muffler shop, I don't think I know him well enough to go in there and do it myself, but I think he'll bend one up for me.

Let me put it to you like this...
stock sportster = 400lbs
Stock CRX = 2200lbs
Gain of header mod = 5hp
gain of header mod = 5hp

Sportsters actually weigh roughly 570 pounds. Not because they have to, but because harley uses the cheapest garbage available to build them with no reguard for weight. They weigh too much for what they are, and don't have the power to lug it around.

Now, for the exact same money you can get a 400 pound liter bike that is bloody fast, I mean ridiculously fast. With no need to upgrade anything. With a better suspension, high end components, technology galore.

Hell, the sporster 1200s can't hang with anything in the 600 class of sport bike. Not in anything. Acceleration, cornering, braking.. Nothing.

They just are not fast bikes. They aren't supposed to be. And people need to stop trying to make them into something they aren't at the cost of many thousands of dollars.

A harley is a status symbol. You buy a harley so you can say "I have a harley" So people will see you on it and envy it. Then you upgrade it so you can say "I installed blah blah blah blah! Take that, other harley owner!" But deep down, you know that you are riding a heavy, clunky, underpowered piece of shit. You'll never admit it though, because it is your status symbol.

Now, a harley does have a place in the motorcycle world. It is a cruiser. It can be customized to look however you want it. Its like an old hot rod.. It isn't the fastest most gnarly thing out there, but damn it it looks cool, and you feel cool cruising it to car shows and down main street, catching looks. It can be made to look really good, it is rolling art. But don't tell me the fucking thing is fast or well-handling. I know better.

Ninja 250s should give most harleys a run for their money...
Vrod should beat it, I'll give them that much.

HD is not about the speed unless you're willing to do a full motor built, at that point you still wont hang with a 600.

You can build an HD to run well under the 10s in the quarter, but at that point the bike is asmuch a HD as a nascar is a real car.

HDs are not about speed and to buy an exhaust just to gain a few HP is not really money well spent, however to buy an exhaust to make the bike look that much better and have the sound you're looking for, that's more of a legit reason.

100% stock GSX-R doing a 2nd gear pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCBzElQU6o

A harley is a status symbol. You buy a harley so you can say "I have a harley" So people will see you on it and envy it. Then you upgrade it so you can say "I installed blah blah blah blah! Take that, other harley owner!" But deep down, you know that you are riding a heavy, clunky, underpowered piece of shit. You'll never admit it though, because it is your status symbol.

I agree wholly with this in the case of most people. In my case I'm riding it because it was my dad's. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. He had it because Harley is his favorite, and it has been more than just a name his whole life. And his dads. They rode harleys when you didn't ride harleys because they were bad news. Its just something that's part of my heritage, and it will always remind me of my dad. I know I'm a yuppie in the terms, but he is a real 1%. I know what that shit is like. I hear people talking about how they're harley maniacs or their family all rides harleys or some shit, but really they're just yuppie wanna bes who are doctors and lawyers. Honestly, that's what I am, but this bike really just reminds me of my dad, of where I came from. Not that I want to be that way, but I know where I come from.

That being said, I plan on keeping this bike and passing it on. I know things change, shit happens, but we'll see how it goes. I don't want this bike to be my dd, that's why I don't care about it busting my ass. I don't care about speed with this thing either. I'll probably get a CBR600 in a few years. That will be my dd/quick bike. I pretty much just wanna dress this thing up and get it to what I want it to be.

For the record, I didn't suggest that exhaust with power in mind. I think the 2-1 looks downright sexy! The fact that it performs is just an upside. The latest exhaust posted also looks damn good and is the style I originally was looking for.

Yeah, I just don't like 2-1, and I'd like to get short pipes. If the whole mandrel thing doesn't work, I'll probably look into those, I really like them.

You could just cut off your flanges and use them, they are way thick as to weld to them. Go to that muffler shop you spoke of and I be he has a crapload of cut pieces you could use to build it, Shouldn't take much. Even better, if you plan on wrapping it, wire weld it up and call it good. Wish I had pics of mine that I built. Watch where you put the turnouts, pipes that short will backfire nicely........And as for Harleys not having much performance, my ratty ass bike will dust off most 600's.

I might do this, but can they weld my flanges to regular exhaust tubing? I'm not too wise on welding. I know about watching where they turn out, I'm gonna have them come straight out below the tranny case and angle the pipe away from the motor, towards the ground.

Your flanges are probably chrome plated steel. You need to get the chrome off in that case. Some are stainless steel. If they are stainless, you should use stainless tubing, which is a little pricier. You can probably leave enough old pipe sticking out to weld to and go from there. I'm just thinking if your not welding it yourself, he might charge you out the ass for that. Check out Samson pipes. They are cheap, but if your wrapping them I think you can get them raw then paint or wrap however you want. Their chrome pipes tend to flake pretty quick, but the welds are good.

Just got it running. Fired it up, let it warm up a bit, hit the gas, and BOOM! Oil cap shoots out like a rocket :lmao: Still not sure whats wrong, but it fired up on the second crank. After years of sitting.

Just had too much oil. Took it up the road. Runs good. Rear tire wobbles a bit cause I have the caliper off of it.

Back