New Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 14 2004, 04:23 PM
Thanx Cal. I wanted to get some more torque because the weight of the car coupled with the lack of torque of the B16 is driving me nuts. I just found out today that I bought the car with a bad piston ring though. :angry: So, without having the luxury of time to save up for a B20, pistons, cams, valvesprings, oil lines, etc; I have decided to just replace my pistons and rings with some ctrs. cost effective and a little more oomph I'm hoping. :shrug2:
[post=402657]Quoted post[/post]​

B - what cams would you recomend? I get parts at cost from my work, but I only carry Comp/Zex, crane, edelbrock, and everything Options and Modacar carry.

I'm leaning to the zex/comp 57200

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 15 2004, 12:07 PM
ctr pistons are also 81mm bore and won't fit in the 84mm b20 block

why even bring it up?
[post=402999]Quoted post[/post]​

becouse he has a b16 in his car right now and is too broke to get the b20 so for now he is staying with the b16 (correct sohcslammer?)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 15 2004, 01:01 PM
bah- you two names screwed me up-- sohcthis, sohcthat
[post=403028]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm the original. :D

B - Werd on that. Although even discounted Toda might be out of my price range.... :p

Imo, b18b shortblock, use your existing pistons if they are salvagable (with new rings obviously), if not, some p30 or ctr pistons. Also, have the rods shotpeened and the rod bolts and head bolts replaced with arp's. Cheap and effective, almost the same price as just a teardown and rebuild of your existing block if you take into account honing and possibly boring your existing block.

The benifit to this block is also shown in the ability to sleve and bore in the future to 84+mm for your turbo setup without having the high overhead price of a b20

As for cams, toda b's with matching valvetrain would be my choice but you are looking at about $800 used if you can find them.

If I got a good discount on Toda or IB spec cams I would go with those. Maybe even a Jun spec B. But I only get discounts on crane, comp, crower, skunk 2, edelbrock, and a few others.

So help me decide -

Comp 57200

skunk 2 stage 2

crane 2530010

edelbrock 4730

I'll be running CTR pistons and a 2 layer head gasket in a B16a2. C/R of around 11:1

Well, if you are interested, I found a set of Toda B's with matching valvesprings (not sure about the retainers) for $700cdn (approx 558.21usd) on revscene.net .
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread....threadid=243089

The seller has a +rating of four which is pretty good (check buyerseller ratings forum)

I don't know if you want to be shipping them but these are cheaper than my crower 62403's and valvetrain and they were for the cheap LS engine

Originally posted by Sed8ed@Oct 16 2004, 12:55 PM
Well, if you are interested, I found a set of Toda B's with matching valvesprings (not sure about the retainers) for $700cdn (approx 558.21usd) on revscene.net .
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread....threadid=243089

The seller has a +rating of four which is pretty good (check buyerseller ratings forum)

I don't know if you want to be shipping them but these are cheaper than my crower 62403's and valvetrain and they were for the cheap LS engine
[post=403422]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanx sed8ed -

I think I am going to go with the crane springs and retainers and the zex 57200 cams though. I get all that shit for around $450 brand new. I'll let you guys know how they work out....

Back