New to ECU's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So I read through all these forums trying to soak up all I can about these engines but the electronics parts really get me. When you guys talk about your ECU's throwing codes is it showing up on the dash somewhere or do you need a special thing to be able to check? As a matter of fact I don't even know where my ECU is yet on my GSR.

Originally posted by PolkMomoInMYSi@Jul 5 2005, 11:33 PM
So I read through all these forums trying to soak up all I can about these engines but the electronics parts really get me. When you guys talk about your ECU's throwing codes is it showing up on the dash somewhere or do you need a special thing to be able to check? As a matter of fact I don't even know where my ECU is yet on my GSR.
[post=521236]Quoted post[/post]​

It is located behind the carpet in the passenger kick panel.

When we say throwing codes we mean that the engine reports an error to the ECU (the computer) that translates that into a code for us to retreive and desphifer easier then another method.

Using a tool to pull the code (either a snap on scanner or a paper clip) will show on the dash display or the scanner that is used.

I dont know where there service connector is on an integra, but a chiltons or any good tech book can tell you where it is. You short the connector (connect 2 pins usually with a paper clip or short wire). Once connected turn your engine to accessory mode (II) and your CEL will blink. Long blinks represent numbers in the 10 position and shorts represent numbers in the 1 position.

E.G. 2 long blinks and 1 short blink means code 21 VTEC Solenoid.

Back