new tv/dvd/ps2 stuff :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
well today me and my roommate went to best buy to get a new tv. she works at best buy so we get a discount. the only thing is that the discount varies on different items so you cant calculate it yourself. we wanted a 27-32" flat screen with HDTV. she was more worried about price, i was more worried about features. typical women :lol: anyway we get there and pic up a 27" flat screen with HDTV and a myriad of other features. we also picked up a nice cheap dvd player with progressive scan. and i got monster cables for the dvd player, and some nice compnent cable for the ps2. then a cable splitter and some more coax. cable for my room so i can have cable tv and internet in my room. on top of all that the 4 year service plan for the tv. everything came out to just a hair over 600. connections are good :)

now for the pics.

this is what i had going before. ignore the ps2 wheel setup for gt4 :)
gallery_1242_98_20184.jpg

the tv
gallery_1242_298_5425.jpg

tv's features
gallery_1242_298_120525.jpg

gotta have nice cables :) the purple one is the component cables for the dvd player, the white one is the component and audio cables for the ps2 next best thing to using monster cables and optical audio
gallery_1242_298_39429.jpg

the ps2 and dvd
gallery_1242_298_871.jpg

my old stereo. its a pretty nice setup for being so old.
gallery_1242_298_41394.jpg

and finally the gt wheel tucked away neatly
gallery_1242_298_74146.jpg

im very happy with it :)

Guess I told you the wrong forum. :shrug2:

Now that I see the logo, I remember who Advent was- they used to be a high middle-range speaker manufacturer 10 or so years ago. They generally made some pretty decent quality stuff. I don't know how good they are with TVs, but at least it's one of the old "good brands".

yeah nike you told me wrong, lol oh well. what do you guys think?

Awesome. Personally I would've gone 32" which I think is about the perfect sized tv, but you still one heck of a deal.

Do you have surround sound? If not, your system isn't complete yet.

Here's my fairly new set up. I moved to Idaho for college 6 months ago and all I had was a 13" tv and Xbox. It's gotten a bit better :)

Sylvania 27" flat screen, 600 watt 5.1 Sony Surround sound 5 disc dvd player ($180 new, thanks to my discount at work), Xbox, PS2 (I was playing Time Crisis 3, hence the orange Guncom), and a 200 dvd binder full of my burned movie collection. It works really well for my small apartment. Eventually in 2006 I'll go for an HDTV. Until then, the cheapo Sylvania will do fine. In fact, it does better than my parents 27" flat Toshiba, which cost over twice as much.

tv.jpg

And Offtopic.....
Does anyone know where I can get a component switch? I only have one set of components on my tv, and the dvd player is already hooked up to them. Right now I'm running the PS2 and XBox off RCAs with a switch box. Also, what upgraded XBox video packs are there? Just S video?

not bad...

component doesn't support HD-level signlas though. i would have gone with a dvd player that has a dvi or hdmi output on it, as your tv box says it can handel 1080i input. i think you'll be limited to 460p with a regular old progressive scan.

prowler, i would have gotten 32" but they didnt have a 32" with all the features i wanted, and if they did it would have been probably twice as much, way more then i wanted to spend. ans yes i do have surrond sound, but i havent figured out how to get the sound from the tv to the stereo. i have it hooked up what seems to be right but i dunno. maybe the component input isnt outputed :shrug2: honestly i dont know why it doesnt work.

and B my tv doesnt have any HDMI or DVI inputs.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 6 2005, 11:49 AM
and B my tv doesnt have any HDMI or DVI inputs.
[post=469881]Quoted post[/post]​

So how do you actually get to see HDTV on your screen? I'm lost as to how all these new hookups work.

i dont know. im new to this stuff too.

but im now having a problem with my dvd player. well i dont know if its the dvd player or what but heres whats happening. i have my dvd on component1 on my tv. its using the monster cables you see in the pic. now the first thing i thought was odd when i was hooking it all up was that i had to put some serious force to get the component cables hooked to the dvd player. so much force that the component outputs on the dvd player were flexing inward. today when i tried to watch a dvd, everything had a red hue to it and most of it was all scribbled across the screen. obviously something is wrong, but i dont know what. any ideas? its not hooked up wrong, and the tv isnt setup wrong cause i have the ps2 on component2 and that works fine. im lost. is the dvd player broken?

HDTV needs the component cables, and the box or service from DirectTV. I.E. My Sony TV is HD, but I need the HDTV service from comcast to experience HD quality channels (it's 5.00 more/mo and has about 10-12 channels at the moment)

How is the DVD player hooked up? When I hooked up my DVI inputs on the DVD player, I had to change the setting, it was set to a default of S-Video. More then likely the setting on the TV or DVD player needs to be changed to component-non HD.

the dvd player is hooked to the tv via the component cables. same as the playstation, and the playstation works just fine, but the dvd player does not. and neither the tv or dvd player has dvi or hdmi. the settings are fine.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 6 2005, 03:36 PM
i dont know. im new to this stuff too.

but im now having a problem with my dvd player. well i dont know if its the dvd player or what but heres whats happening. i have my dvd on component1 on my tv. its using the monster cables you see in the pic. now the first thing i thought was odd when i was hooking it all up was that i had to put some serious force to get the component cables hooked to the dvd player. so much force that the component outputs on the dvd player were flexing inward. today when i tried to watch a dvd, everything had a red hue to it and most of it was all scribbled across the screen. obviously something is wrong, but i dont know what. any ideas? its not hooked up wrong, and the tv isnt setup wrong cause i have the ps2 on component2 and that works fine. im lost. is the dvd player broken?
[post=469938]Quoted post[/post]​

makes perfect sense, actually.

componet cables are tough to get on there sometimes... esp. monster's.

now, componet is a split of RGB. if you're seeing red, chances are the green and blue aren't making a proper conection.

factor out the cabling...
run plain old composite from the dvd to the tv. if that works, you know its not the dvd player itself (but may still be the output).

next, plug the dvd into comp.2 where the ps2 is said to work, thus, elimination comp.1 as the bad source.
if that works, than its the input on comp.1 on the tv.

and yeah, that tv is retarded. if it doesn't have a dvi or an hdmi connection, why bother supporting 1080i???? component is only good enough for progressive scan level video... 480p. I jsut don't understand. if theres no dvi or hdmi hookup, or any kind of their-name-only brand of digital connection (like the Denon link system), there's no way to ever even get a digital signal into that tubeset. makes no sense why they would go around advertising that it can hit 1080i.

doing more reseach... i looked up your tv...
http://www.adventtv.com/2751adetail.html

Rear Connection
HD Input 1
Component Video Input 1YCbCr
S-video Input 2
A/V Input 2
A/V Output 1
RF Input Yes

ok, so it has an HD input.

WTF is an HD input? lol

i bet its for a HDTV tuner box connection.

so then i looked for the rear panel...

hdtv_rear.jpg

umm, nope. all analog connections...

so, i think you got the best of false advertising right there... (if it was me, 'd return it :) but im an anal fuck)

anyhoo...

Dvi/hdmi do something the lower cabling levels cannot: they "up" convert the 480 progressive scan signal into 720 or 1080 interlaced or progressive. ona tube tv, its not as noticable, but on a fixed pixel like a plasma or lcd, its a world of difference.

DLP, LCD, LCOS, D-ILA, and plasma are all fixed pixel sets and they will probably benfit more from the DVI/HDMI connection than would a CRT set (projection or direct) that relies on an analog device to display the picture. DVI/HDMI will generally look 'cleaner' than YUV - you're cutting out two stage of signal conversion D/A and A/D, which results in signal loss.

ohh, and my tv > your tv

Audio/Video Input Signal (back)
Composite (2); S-Video (2); Component (2); TV In/Coax (1); HDTV In (1); Audio (RCA L+R) (7); DVI (1); HDMI (1)

Audio/Video Output Signal (back)
Bullet Composite (1); Audio, user-selectable fixed or variable (RCA L+R) (1); subwoofer (1); Digital Coax (1); Digital Optical (1)

hehe
sorry, had to :)

thanks for the info B, i know its not the input, i checked that too, i swtiched them, ill try running the regular composit cables now.

and yes i know your tv owns mine. but i only paid 340 bucks for it. and you paid what like 2500? i think i got a hell of a deal if you ask me. and i dont care about the lack of DVI/HDMI. i have nothing to use it with anyway.

going to check the cables right now...

and another thing i still cant get the surround to work with the playstation or dvd player. it works on regular tv but when i switch over to the component input it doesnt work? is this normal to have the surround outputted for RF input but not the composite?

well its officially not the wires either, regular composit cables did the same thing. looks like im going back to best buy tomorrow to get a new dvd player, lol

edit and B, mind explaining the whole 480p, 720, 1080i thing? i have no idea what that means. what do the numbers stand for?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 6 2005, 11:50 PM
and yeah, that tv is retarded. if it doesn't have a dvi or an hdmi connection, why bother supporting 1080i???? component is only good enough for progressive scan level video... 480p. I jsut don't understand. if theres no dvi or hdmi hookup, or any kind of their-name-only brand of digital connection (like the Denon link system), there's no way to ever even get a digital signal into that tubeset. makes no sense why they would go around advertising that it can hit 1080i.

Component video can ouput HD (ie 480p, 720p, & 1080i). Just that all the "upconversion" DVD players are HDMI or DVI (although one of them did do it with component, I think JVC, but then they did a firmware update and now that option is gone). As proof, PS2. It's highest quality cable is component, and it can output 1080i.

480p, 720p, 1080i all refer to the resolution. The numbers is the number of lines and the p/i refer to either progressive scan or interlaced.

so there are NO upconversion dvd players for component? and yea the ps2 picture looks great with the component cables i got for it.

edi you answered while i was typing :)

well i went to best buy today to get a new dvd player. i made sure to get one where the inputs wont flex from putting too much force on it. returned the other one, paid a difference of 15 bucks and was on my way. hooked it all up, same thing, WTF? the guy at best buy said the same thing happened to him and that i had to tun on the progressive scan on the dvd player. i read through the manual, and viola it works. i guess it was the setting, lol. oh well. but thats fucking gay, they shouldnt have the dvd player like that, lol.

now thats thats fixed, whats the deal with audio outputs? does it simply not output the audio on the component setting? the sudio out works for regula tv, but not for the dvd player or ps2 which are on component? wtf? wouldnt that be the mostlikely place to have the audio outputted to a stereo system?

Back