obd1 d16a6 into 2000 civic 4dr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EFDX

my buddy just bought a ready for turbo d16a6 w/ y8 head & intake running obd1 setup (so we were told by the seller).
first of all, can a y8 head be put on a a6 block, second of all, can you run a y8 odb1? third, right away i noticed the a6 block dosen't have a cpk sensor at the crank and the motor we pulled does, which makes me think we a going to have to convert the car to obd1 and not the engine to obd2, corrtect?
can the car be converted to obd1?
any help much appretiated.
please don't tell be to search, i will be doing lots of that
thanks
ps so far my honda swap knowledge goes as far as putting b series into EF's

y8 head will be fine on an a6 block.
use a d15b7 distributor td-41u for obd1.
a6 block has no knock sensor and cps is in the distributor.

dunno what software you are using to tune this setup, but use it to disable the knock sensor so you don't have to worry about that. the ckf (crankshaft fluctuation) sensor on the oil pump, or lack there of on the a6, is not a problem. obd1 ecu's do not have an input for it.

finally got a hold of the ecu that came with this swap, its a p28, will we need any engine harness's to make it work or can we use the harness from the 2000 si? the swap came out of a 93 hatch si...
also, is there perhaps a different ecu that we should use to run this engine?

you will use the harness from your car, the 2000 si. you're going to have to resolve some issues either way you go. if you use the p28 you will need an obd2a to obd1 ecu jumper and thats about it. your other option is to use a p2p ecu which is the obd2 ecu for the d16y8. it will plug directly into your cabin harness, however, the engine you have in it will lack many things. evap equipment on the intake manifold, ckf sensor on the oil pump, and knock sensor on the back of the block. these can be worked around, but honestly it'd be easier and cheaper just to use the obd1 ecu.

yeah we are getting the obd2a-obd1 jumper... are we going to have to splice in the cpk sensor wire (harness side) into the dizzy wiring for a signal or will the jumper harness take care of that?

the crankshaft positions sensor (ckp) you mean? you don't have to worry about it. its already ran into the car from factory and will go to the appropriate place on the obd1 ecu once you install the jumper harness.

Back