Overheating!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbo99

hello, my car overheated like crazy! It's in my work garage right now. This happened as soon as I installed my new alarm system yesterday. The guys that did it, forgot to hook up my climate control that controls AC/heater, etc. Do you think it has anything to do with the climate control not being hooked up? Doesn't that circulate the system? I know that when you change your coolant, you should let the car run with the heater on. A lot of antifreeze leaked out. It's like 90 degrees in the city I'm in. My home is about 30 miles away. Do you think I can make it back if I fill it back up with coolant and water?

I'd appreciate any help ASAP.

Originally posted by turbo99@Aug 11 2004, 03:40 PM
hello, my car overheated like crazy! It's in my work garage right now. This happened as soon as I installed my new alarm system yesterday. The guys that did it, forgot to hook up my climate control that controls AC/heater, etc. Do you think it has anything to do with the climate control not being hooked up? Doesn't that circulate the system? I know that when you change your coolant, you should let the car run with the heater on. A lot of antifreeze leaked out. It's like 90 degrees in the city I'm in. My home is about 30 miles away. Do you think I can make it back if I fill it back up with coolant and water?

I'd appreciate any help ASAP.
[post=375498]Quoted post[/post]​

your waterpump and thermostat are not dependent upon heater control. Make sure you don't have a stuck thermostat. Even with very little water you should be able to make it home. You have to watch your guages and make sure you don't overheat the engine. If the temperature comes up, pull over, wait for the engine to cool, and go again.

there is a heater hose going to the heater core, which is part of the climate control.. check for leaks, refill radiator drive 5 miles, refill rad., drive 5 miles, etc...

Well, I managed to make it back home. As soon as I turned the car off, the temp guage shot up. I had a feeling it was the climate control causing that problem. The fuse for the climate control was burnt and was simply replaced. That seemed to have solved my problem. It doesn't overheat anymore and I refilled the radiator and overflow tank with some water and coolant.

Is my thinking correct or do I still need to worry about the overheating problem? By the way, this is the first time my car overheated and this happened as soon as I noticed that the climate control wasn't working.

Why the heck would anyone mess with coolant line when installing an alarm?

Back