Piston Poppin!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Newfie_Sol

Hey everyone... this is my first post, please cut me some slack for being such a newbie.. I've been reading for about the last year or so on Hondaswap so I hope I'm at least posting this in the right spot..

I bought a 94 Del Sol VTEC this summer... not my first Honda.. but the first I've had problems with..

I drove it for a few months before I started to notice some odd little qwerks about the motor. Nothing really big I guess.. but I did noticed a knock.. when I was trying to teach someone to drive a standard for the first time.. :eek: she stalled the motor and on the last few revolutions it had that really old truck sound.. lol you know the one you hear it on autoparts commercials before they lift the hood and smoke goes everywhere... except there was no smoke and no hood lifting.. started her up and she seemed fine. But it continued to happen when it was stalled out.. especially when it was hot.

About 2 months later and about 5000 kms I was going down the highway... decided to pass someone.. was setting up a run to get around them with a head of steam, so to say.. while I was "doing a mirror" check as all us responsiable drivers do... it looked almost like a space shuttle was touching down behind me with those O' so cool wing tip vorticies.. only it was blue and coming from ME! A few days later and a few wrenches turned I came out with this slug down bottom.

I'm bassically looking for a reason or explanation of what could have happened.. manufacturing defect.. engine running lean.. debris in cyc.. anything...I've been looking at pictures of failed pistons and stuff but I'm not getting much luck.. Any imput would be great!

(PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR THE SIZE!!)
919.jpg

is that coolant on the piston? i beileve blue smoke means you're burning oil. what condition was the head gasket in

Yeah.. that is coolant down in the piston... it got down their during the head removal.. BUT the head gasket was in good shape.. no problems from what I know.. now I'm not a mechanic.. but a gasket is a gasket right?

And yes blue smoke is a very good indication of oil burning.. I think it may have been getting by the piston some how :p

I was thinking that if it was running lean and the piston was getting hot that it would have scored the wall?? with the piston expanding with heat etc??

now this is on a stock set up.. no tinkering/tuning.. this is all factory gear.. stock exhaust up until just before the gas tank where it's split for duals.. and there is a K&N Typhoon intake on... and I'm hoping to god that wouldn't lean her out?!? would it?:huh:

I just want to prevent this from happening again... it was caused by something and its not going to be fixed until I fix what caused it.. I hope someone agrees?

Looks like you broke the ring land on the lower part of the picture. That would cause the oil burning. Did you drain all of the coolant before removing the head bolts? Maybe the coolant got in there when you removed the head.

yeah.. I would have to agree with you Blanco.. I'm pretty sure the guy that owned it before me did work on her.. I'm not sure what he did and to what extent..

As for the piston it is melted..and your right it is on the exhaust side.. and the surface you see behind the melted part, I think it is the first ring?? the piston had 0 compression.. and the valves are all covered in little bits of burnt piston.. hopefully it comes off with just a brush..

so this is not a common thing with I take it? something odd had to happen that is the result of someone making a big toy out of my baby eh?

Would an improperly functioning injector cause her to lean out? But I would assume that it would throw a code when the fuel pressure is not in the correct range. I also know that Assumptions are a bad thing..

Any tips on possiable repairs.. I've been talking to a local mechanic.. in his opinion all I need is a piston.. set of rings for all 4.. and rod bearings to freshen her up.. I'm a student and money is always a factor... I just want to get it running.. not passing vettes on the highway...

A fuel injector failure could cause lean conditions that could have damaged the piston. But like blanco said it was probably ran hard before without being properly setup. The cost to have a mechanic go through it might be more then finding a used engine at a salvage yard. A used engine might be a more affordable option for you and if you are good with your hands you might be able to do the work yourself.

Hook that injector up.

My guess is as boostin said injector failure.
Does your fuel pressure go nuts when its running? jumping about 4-10psi? That would indicate a clog but thats all i got for that.

Was the ecu showing any codes?

teggyguy
Wow I'm sorry bro i feel your pain. Now to put p73's in =) lol
What are p73's from? and this may be a dumb question but would they run with stock ecu and fuel maps etc.. I would assume if the compression ration is bumped it would need tuning?? And to tell you the truth I'm not in the situation to tune any motors right now... there isn't even a dyno for about 600 miles from where I live plus a ferry ride.. now I was hearing at the Targa Newfoundland rally from a tuner/driver.. if someone's got one hidden in their garage, I'd say it's time to shart sharing... lol ;)

boostin4fun
The cost to have a mechanic go through it might be more then finding a used engine at a salvage yard. A used engine might be a more affordable option for you and if you are good with your hands you might be able to do the work yourself.
I realized the cost of a used motor was going to be cheaper when he started talking about parts.. lol.. the only thing holding me back is actually finding one.. I live on the eastern sea board of Canada in Newfoundland and finding a B16 motor for less then the cost of repairing the one I have is turning into a long and fruitless journey.. altho the shop does have a 90 integra sitting in the yard that was rear ended a year ago.. but thats another list of parts and work to be done.. there is only 170k kms on the motor I have..

teggyguy
Does your fuel pressure go nuts when its running? jumping about 4-10psi? That would indicate a clog but thats all i got for that.
I actually never got a chance to check the fuel pressure before she was taken apart.. she was missing when idling and blowing smoke out like nuts.. so the first step we took was to check the compression across all 4.. the others looked good but #3 had absolutly nothing.. I will have that injector tested.. thats a good idea.. I never hooked a computer up to it to check codes.. but the check engine light was not on?? dumb move maybe?

Last edited:
Back