pneumatic can crusher

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

California has can redemption places around, too. Can't remember if they have a .05 deposit on them, but I know us Nevada people crush our cans, bag them, and sell them to people who can return the aluminum to Cali.

you actually make out better at the $2/lb rate than the $0.05 return rate

average empty can is about or 15g
roughly 453.6g in 1lb
so about 30.25 cans to make 1lb of aluminum
at $2/lb it works out to just over 6.5 cents per can

Can collecting is how the drunks and druggies get their fix. They dig through dumpsters, look on the ground, and raid peoples recycling bins. Down the road from my work, which in a low income town, there is a liquor store. Guys are walking down there with shopping carriages and home made contrapments brings cans. I know a guy who worked there and said they get their cash then walk into the liquor store and buy a bottle.
There is a guy near me who picks all the dumpsters down my road, but I think he is mentally off. He does live in a nice condo complex so he has probably isn't doing it for the money.

I bring back my cans, and water bottles. Why give the state more money than I have to. They take enough of my money as it is.

I'm not really that impressed... i mean... I could make one if I was really too fucking lazy to crush a can. Pneumatic actuator, a few pneumatic cylinders, a regulator, compressor, a nifty aluminum piston. :shrug2:

It's still awesome, I love projects like that...

I couldn't afford a trickle charger for my CRX battery back in the day, but I had a bunch of stuff lying around... I built a battery charger from an alternator and a washing machine motor...

Inefficient as hell but it worked. :D

Attachments

• GENERA~2.JPG
    GENERA~2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 161
  • GENERA~4.JPG
    GENERA~4.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 146
  • GED62E~1.JPG
    GED62E~1.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 166
  • GE5644~1.JPG
    GE5644~1.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
It's still awesome, I love projects like that...

I couldn't afford a trickle charger for my CRX battery back in the day, but I had a bunch of stuff lying around... I built a battery charger from an alternator and a washing machine motor...

Inefficient as hell but it worked. :D

thats pretty neat..

And you sat the battery on the concrete floor to charge it? :confused:

BS on concrete draining batteries? That is a myth....may have been true for much older batteries(case made of different materials) but nothing modern.

I put my cans and bottles in the recycle bin. Its my way of giving back to the community lol

The battery-on-the-concrete thing comes from old time car batteries... The cases used to be made of hard rubber, which while hard was still slightly porous. Leaving the battery on the ground long enough would allow the electrolyte to seep through the case and make contact with the ground, literally grounding out the battery. Now that battery cases are plastic this is impossible unless the case is damaged.

It's still a hugely common myth, one of the younger UPS technicians at work was trying to say it to me until the 25-year veteran shut him down. (Uninterruptable Power Supply, not the delivery guys :p)

Last edited:
It's still a hugely common myth, one of the younger UPS technicians at work was trying to say it to me until the 25-year veteran shut him down. (Uninterruptable Power Pupply, not the delivery guys :p)

:confused: wouldnt that make it a UPP... and what the hell is a Pupply anyway??

Back