Poor Mans Type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jesus Bernal

Hey guys, Im here trying to see if ive done my research right so far for this build. It will be NA since itll be my daily but i want to get as much power as i can. Here is what i have so far

Gsr Block

ITR (P73) pistons

B16 head (Port it and Polish)

ITR valvetrain

'01 ITR Cams

ITR Intake Manifold

ITR Throttle Body

P28 ecu. (Currently have a spoon p30)

What do you guys think?? Also i have to see what tranny will go best, b16a or gsr. Any pointers? Its my first build so all information will be helpful. Thanks! And yes, i already have the b16a so all id need is the gsr bottom and itr components. If youre here to tell me to just buy a type r just dont respond to this thread...

Last edited:
Do you already have a b16 or b18c1 in the car?
Because if you are piecing together the entire setup, you will probably end up spending more to build this "poor man's R" than you would just buying a real R

Welcome to HS ! $100 says you have 0 of these components lol and you can buy a GSR swap or do a LSV cheappp these days and all will make similar power

Do you already have a b16 or b18c1 in the car?
Because if you are piecing together the entire setup, you will probably end up spending more to build this "poor man's R" than you would just buying a real R
I already have the b16a. My bottom end blew so im going to head down to mexico and buy the gsr bottom end, water pump and etc. Ive found all the missing parts i have written down for under 1500. I just dont want to travel down there and get something that wont really give me what im looking for. Not to be a dick but if youre not gonna help best just keep scrolling.

Welcome to HS ! $100 says you have 0 of these components lol and you can buy a GSR swap or do a LSV cheappp these days and all will make similar power
Like i told the other guy, i have most of the parts already so might as well send me the 100. I just need to change out the bottom end and some of the other components. So if youre not here to help just dont say anything at all. I came here for help cause i know what im getting into but i need pointers, not to be critiqued.

If you have a grenaded b16 just do a lsv cheap and keep on rolling, or $$$ youre going to invest assembling a motor correctly you could buy a healthy complete gsr swap, the gsr / type r / lsv are all going to be like under 20hp difference... and sweet you should post up some pics of your ride bro and what youre working with parts wise

If you have a grenaded b16 just do a lsv cheap and keep on rolling, or $$$ youre going to invest assembling a motor correctly you could buy a healthy complete gsr swap, the gsr / type r / lsv are all going to be like under 20hp difference... and sweet you should post up some pics of your ride bro and what youre working with parts wise
But if i do a complete swap id be spending double the money. I already have one engine and i dont want to just throw it away, plus idk if i could even sell it with a blown bottom end. And the problem ive been hearing about the lsv is how thin its blocks walls are. So im more prone to issues down the line. Id have to sleeve it and ontop of that the wiring that id have to figure out in order to put on a vtec. Idk i just figure itd be easier to just slap on the b18c bottom end and worry about changing the internals as i go along. Plus id only spend $1200 compared to $3000 for a full on swap( getting the parts from mexico). And ill be sure to post some pictures up soon! I just made the account and tbh i had never taken pics of my cars like that due to them not being complete haha

Last edited:
Thread cleaned.

Are you planning on daily driving the car? If not, I'd go with the shortest gearing possible to make the car feel as quick as possible. I had a b16 trans in my LS swapped hatch and the short gearing never bothered me.

Thread cleaned.

Are you planning on daily driving the car? If not, I'd go with the shortest gearing possible to make the car feel as quick as possible. I had a b16 trans in my LS swapped hatch and the short gearing never bothered me.
Yeah actually i do want to keep it as a daily. I have another car that i have plans for so i cant go out there and fuck them both up lol i know what you mean cause i had everything b16, its an amazing tranny. I want to know if id be able to keep it with the b18c short block

Yeah actually i do want to keep it as a daily. I have another car that i have plans for so i cant go out there and fuck them both up lol i know what you mean cause i had everything b16, its an amazing tranny. I want to know if id be able to keep it with the b18c short block

I don't see why not. It'll sit high in the RPMs on the freeway, probably around 4k. If that doesn't bother you much then go for it man. Hondas don't make much torque, but shorter gearing is one way to mask that.

Personally before committing to buying any parts/itr components id be pulling the head off that b16 and make sure its good, 2nd I would personally (if the head is good) just find a usdm gsr long block/complete assembly and swap it in with your existing electronics and trans, again the power difference you are going to see usdm vs jdm is going to be minuscule for the price difference , also there are aftermarket cams that yield better gains for essentially same $$$ ITR cams go for , the hype for jdm tyte parts died a while back man you can make reliable power on a budget easy , and yes as mentioned above the b16 trans gearing makes the car feel super peppy if you can take the 4kish rpm at highway speed, also you should post pics of your ride etc as a build thread if its "finished" or not, generally speaking its pretty badass to see something come together and where it came from - sorry about shit posting yesterday this is a regular thing on here that 99.9% dont see through or are blowing smoke

Personally before committing to buying any parts/itr components id be pulling the head off that b16 and make sure its good, 2nd I would personally (if the head is good) just find a usdm gsr long block/complete assembly and swap it in with your existing electronics and trans, again the power difference you are going to see usdm vs jdm is going to be minuscule for the price difference , also there are aftermarket cams that yield better gains for essentially same $$$ ITR cams go for , the hype for jdm tyte parts died a while back man you can make reliable power on a budget easy , and yes as mentioned above the b16 trans gearing makes the car feel super peppy if you can take the 4kish rpm at highway speed, also you should post pics of your ride etc as a build thread if its "finished" or not, generally speaking its pretty badass to see something come together and where it came from - sorry about shit posting yesterday this is a regular thing on here that 99.9% dont see through or are blowing smoke
Yeeaaaup. Thats was tomorrows plans. Ill set up pics tomorrow if theres light by the time i get there and if not by saturday forsure! in the meanwhile ill put up on how its looking right now. And I thought the specs were better for the jdm? And haha its all good. Thats what i DONT want. #NoRiceGang lol

I don't see why not. It'll sit high in the RPMs on the freeway, probably around 4k. If that doesn't bother you much then go for it man. Hondas don't make much torque, but shorter gearing is one way to mask that.
Cool! I was told that the tranny wouldnt be able to take it but i didnt think so. Appreciate it, and thats cool for me bro haha like i said, daily. Im not trynna blow it again

Alright so heres my little frankenstein :alien::) tbh was in better conditions when i got it but what fun is a car if you cant destroy it then rebuild it x)

Attachments

• 20180414_130308_1523736188974.jpeg
    20180414_130308_1523736188974.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 689
  • 20180414_130149_1523736109740.jpeg
    20180414_130149_1523736109740.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 649
I thought you said no rice lol ... while youre at it find oem bumpers and sideskirts and remove the existing with a hammer, and yes ITR is SILIGHTLY better than obd2 usdm gsr but like I said its under a 20hp difference

I thought you said no rice lol ... while youre at it find oem bumpers and sideskirts and remove the existing with a hammer, and yes ITR is SILIGHTLY better than obd2 usdm gsr but like I said its under a 20hp difference
Haha actually i might just sell it and get a good integra shell. Again, will still be way cheaper than buying one complete

Haha actually i might just sell it and get a good integra shell. Again, will still be way cheaper than buying one complete
Lol no it wont... and generally you dont want to buy somebodys project/roller you have to go behind and fix shit and piece together , if $$$ is the issue just save up and buy something nice and running off the rip

Back