porting the head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
well as some of you know i picked up some of B's engine build stuff a few months ago and i still havent gotten around to installing it. initially i was going to just slap it all together and hop for the best. but now im thinking ill go ahead and port the head while i have some downtime. only thing is o really dont kno how to go about it. i want it done right and i want it done by somoene who knows hondas and knows what they are doing. i dont want soe skimpy port that wont do much, and i also dont want some extreme port that will not only cost a ton, but be too much for my application.

i also really dont want to deal with the hassle of shipping if at all possible. so if anyone knows of a good place to get porting done in the baltimore area, please speak up.

also what information should i know to give to the porter? i mean im not just gonna drop it off and say "here port this" am i? should they know my setup to match the port to? or are there standards for porting that i should choose based on my setup?

anything you guys can suggest will be appreciated.

heres my setup so you guys can give me suggestions for what will be best suited for my setup.

gsr engine
gsr head
skunk2 stage 2 cams
JDM ITR pistons (P73-00) (approx. 11.6:1 comp)

thanks

:werd:

That's always a safe route to take. When you start reshaping your ports, you'd better send the head to someone who really knows what they're doing.

yea ive thought it over and once i save up enough bank, the head is going to portflow for the whole thing. they offer a whole service (dissassembly, cleaning, inspection, port, valve job, all new seals, reassembly) gonna be expensive, but they know what they are doing. portflow said their turnaround time is like 2 weeks so thats not bad. i should have enough saved up in like a month or 2 to have portflow do their thing on it :)

:thumbsup:

It's definitely worth a 1-2 month wait. That's not that long.

hmm it might even not be that long. i DO have a bach trumpet laying around that i dont play anymore, they cost about a grand new, im sure i could get a couple hundred buck out of it :) ive been thinking about selling it...

If you really want to sell it, go for it! Just think of the extra power you'll make with a proper port job!

nah i think im gonna go the portflow route. they are one of the best and i want the best. i dont want some greasemonkey in a machine shop who may not know what hes doing messing up my head. i want somoene who knows hondas. and if im going the trouble to ship the head its gonna go to somone i trust with it.

rlz hasnt replied to my email. portflow did.

look into TODA spec B's. thats what im going with. Skunk2 stageII was my first choice until i read that though you lose about 4 hp with TODA you gain over 10 pds of tq. compared to the skunk2's. I'll try to find the artical somewhere. both cams were dynoed in the same car.

Quoted post[/post]]
look into TODA spec B's. thats what im going with. Skunk2 stageII was my first choice until i read that though you lose about 4 hp with TODA you gain over 10 pds of tq. compared to the skunk2's. I'll try to find the artical somewhere. both cams were dynoed in the same car.

That dyno you are speaking of was done at ModaCar in Nor Cal by Casey I wasn't there but I have heard about it. It actually put an extra +20 tq to the wheels and only lost 4hp up top. Unreal. Hence the $1000 price tag on those cams.

the skunk2 are staying. will be more then satisfactory for my needs.

Quoted post[/post]]
the skunk2 are staying. will be more then satisfactory for my needs.

whatever blows your skirt up bro :p . Just giving suggestions. If you find a pair of skunk2's for a good price let me know i might jump on that deal also. $1000 is pretty hefty for some todas. and right now im running low on funds. :mrgreen:

trumpet is sold :)
funds are raised :)

head is going off to portflow this week :) :) :)

Back