power steering to manual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pirk

My son has 1995 Civic. He had a 1.5 L in the car. He is doing a engine swap to a B20. We went to remove the power steering. Does anybody know what we have to do to remove it? We have removed the old engine haven't not put the B20 in yet.

Pirk!

You'd have to replace the power rack with a manual rack from a donor car. The rest is basic, remove the pump and hoses.

Quoted post[/post]]
You'd have to get a manual rack of a donor car and replace the power rack.
Not true.

I have turned my power rack into a manual rack.

What you essentially need to do is loop the rack in order to keep fluid in it for lubrication properties. There are quite a few threads on H-T and even some on here about it. Do a search if you want to find the specivics. I have 2 hoses (had to get an ntp fitting with a nipple for the input of the rack), one for the input and one for the output of the rack. Join to two with a T fitting, with the single hose going to a resivior to hold fluid and allow the fluid to move. Make sure you have a breather hole punched into the cap of the resivior to allow air to move.
Have fun!

buddy of mine just took his pump out I think. I'll ask him and get back to you on that....

Why would you want to get rid of your power steering?

because it adds weight
because it takes away HP
because it takes away road feel

F power steering

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
You'd have to get a manual rack of a donor car and replace the power rack.
Not true.

I have turned my power rack into a manual rack.

What you essentially need to do is loop the rack in order to keep fluid in it for lubrication properties. There are quite a few threads on H-T and even some on here about it. Do a search if you want to find the specivics. I have 2 hoses (had to get an ntp fitting with a nipple for the input of the rack), one for the input and one for the output of the rack. Join to two with a T fitting, with the single hose going to a resivior to hold fluid and allow the fluid to move. Make sure you have a breather hole punched into the cap of the resivior to allow air to move.
Have fun!

:werd: :withstupid: thats what i did too.... 3 years running now with no problems at all

Yes you can change power steering to standard by just removing PS pump and hoses but in eccence you still have to work a complete power steering system without the power assist.

Cons: Understeer is greatly increased because your trying to turn a complete hydrolic rack without the power assist, it takes more revolutions of the wheel to turn the same distance as with a standard rack and pinion with 1/2 the revolutions.

And lastly over time the internal working, pistons and seals in the hydrolic rack will dry up from lack of fluid and the rack will eventually sieze up, making steering the car almost impossible.

So for short term yes its OK but if you want to use the car in the long term , its not a very good idea.

Its best to get a standard rack from a donor car and change it out.

Why does he want standard steering?

Been there and done it.

Regards
Vic.

Quoted post[/post]]
Cons: Understeer is greatly increased because your trying to turn a complete hydrolic rack without the power assist, it takes more revolutions of the wheel to turn the same distance as with a standard rack and pinion with 1/2 the revolutions.

And lastly over time the internal working, pistons and seals in the hydrolic rack will dry up from lack of fluid and the rack will eventually sieze up, making steering the car almost impossible.
Again you are wrong.

Understeer is not increased. I road race the car, it did not change understeer nor oversteer. It infact takes more revolutions to turn the wheel on a manual rack, the steering ratio is actually shorter on the power rack than the manual rack. This is how a manual rack works, more revolutions, less mechanical torque needed to turn the wheel. The only time I notice I don't have power assist going is when I'm making turns from a snails pace. Hell, a large number of sports cars turn off their power assist when certain speeds are reached because it does nothing for it. Regardless, number of revolutions needed to turn a car would not affect understeer nor oversteer.

Lastly, this is why I said to loop the rack and keep fluid in it. This keeps the system lubed.

:withstupid:

vic42 please refrain from commenting on topics that you know nothing about
you couldnt be more wrong

i have had no ps since my swap last year in my 96 hx and i couldnt tell a difference as long as the tires have air in them, although parallel parking sucks, so hard to turn the damn wheel when your not moving

get rid of the PS, i drive both my car[92 hatch](no PS) and my buddies car [94 sedan](has PS) and the feel of having non-PS is mucho better, grated the ps is nice, but totally not worth the extra hp, plus even at a snails pace i can turn the wheel with no prob(even with my 205/45/16 tires) with one hand no less.

all-in-all the pro's > con's of the PS issue.

i'm not 100% sure, but to swap a power-assited to manual rack in a 5th gen civic, the crossmember has to be changed also. i think the mounting points are different or something. i'll try and find some more info on it.

i would take b16 and Esol's advice and loop the rack. realtime racing did this on their track integra type r's back in the day.

Back