Problems W/ My 98 Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpyOneUSN

ok my first problem that ive been havin for a while is that my transmission grinds goin hard into third even with the clutch all the way down. i had this problem before while it was still undr warranty and honda fixed. they said it was the third gear synchros. ok so now after the warranty is long gone it started doin it again. i put in a short shifter (which has nothing to do with the problem) so i know if i take it back to honda theyll charge me my scrotum. any suggestions? also, lately my car randomly decided not to start. its not the battery or the alternator because i checked em both out, so i think its either the starter itself or possibly the relay? i have power when it wont start and theres no clicking when i try to turn it over, if i jumpstart it, it will usually start. ive taken it to a shop twice but of course they couldnt get it not to start so they couldnt figure it out. do starters normally go bad at around 65k miles?

I also have a 98 EX, and there was a recall on the ignition system last year. I got a letter from Honda saying they would fix it free regardless of warranty. It took an hour to change. You should bring your car to the dealership to see if they can do the recall. That could be the problem since the car not starting was one of the symptoms. It was supposedly rare but couldn't hurt to check it out.

Never had the problem with the tranny, though.

As for the Ignition switch, I have the recall notice in front of me and this is what it says:

"Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in the ignition switch on certain 1998-2000 Civics. Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning. Although the engine will restart in most cases, if your engine stalls while driving in traffic or at highway speeds, you're at risk of being involved in a crash. Difficulties starting the engine (for example, hard-to-start, stalls imediately after starting, etc...) may indicate that the ignition switch is failing."

"Call any authorized Honda dealer [...] to have your car repaired. The dealer will install an improved ignition switch, free of charge."

Kind of scary, but apparently no one has gotten hurt due to it (yet)

thanks, dunno if thats the problem but if honda will fix it free why the hell not? yea those recalls are funny, especially the one about the floormmats causing the gas pedal to stick at full throttle. i actually got out of a 92 in a 65 ticket because of it -=] i told the judge that my pedal was stuck and i was afraid for my life B) heheh SUCKER!!

Back