problems with car starting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AaronrVegas

please help me diagnose.

so my car will crank and start. but as soon as i let off the key it dies. if i hold it in the start position it will stay until i let the key go.

was thinking that maybe its a bad ignition switch or alternator.

i just changed the main relay ( which autozone calls accessory relay) today and that did not help. i changed the ignition coil, dizzy cap and rotor yesterday and that did nothing either.

im pretty new to working on cars and i am pretty stumped here.

dont know if i gave all the relevant info. car is a 91 accord LX 5 speed

i have fuel at the rail but idk if the pressure is there. i rented(well $160 deposit) this kit from autozone and its crap. it does not even fit the threaded thing on the banjo bolt.

please help asap. any suggestion appreciated

damn it sorry forgot to put this in original post.

yesterday it started and drove about 200 feet then died. my friend fiddled with the ignition switch(where you put the key in) and then it started. then i didnt do anything to it. it started fine when i moved it out of garage. then i went to go somewhere and it died at the end of my street.

wow again sorry for posting 3 times but i keep forgetting things

also i read in my haynes that the basic ECU check is that when you put the key into the on position(car not running) that there should be lights like oil light or check engine light or something like that.

but i have nothing showing. idk what to do about it. the haynes says next to nothing about the ECU.

damn it i swear i could not edit posts before. i just saw that sorry :(

Last edited:
replaced teh ignition switch and she runs great!!!!

was like a 5 minute job to put it in too.

wow thought it was great until today when i was driving home from the bank. the tach and speedometer went crazy for a second then the car died.

now it cranks but will not turn over.

i just had to walk 2 miles in the vegas sun. fantastic!!!

any ideas?

Sounds like a bad ground. You sure you tightened all the ground back when you were taking stuff off and replacing them?

Could it be that ignition harness running to your key switch? maybe thats worn out and isnt connecting as well as it should. Seems like every time you mess with the key switch things tend to act better...

b16 - yes i double checked everything when i hooked it back up.

94h - i replaced that yesterday. that is the part on the opposite end of the key. when you cracnk the key it turns the ignition switch. that is what actually got it to start. but i guess the ignitor went out today while i was driving it.

actually my roommate and i could not get a code off the ECU so we towed it to the dealership. they told me its a bad ignitor unit. and they cant tell if there are any other problems until that is fixed. so i think i will return the coil i just bought and buy a used dizzy from the pick a part.

thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited:
Back