question about b16 SIR II

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i'm new to this hopefully i asked it in the right place. i wanted to know how i can identify that my B16 SIR II swaped into my 88 crx si is really a SIR II. Just want to make sure and wat ecu should i be using for it. i'm using a pr3 right now n it seems like its messed up cause vtec crossover is at liek 4500 and fuel cutt of is at around 7600. any help would be good. just making sure i paid for wat i got. Thanx

So are you asking how to tell if you really have a B16A? If that's the case, look at the block on front next to the transmission, there is a small square with B16A and then the serial number under it.

i know its a b16 by the front of the block no doubt, wat other way can i tell if its a 1st gen or a 2nd motor? they told me its a 93 EG JDM 2nd gen motor. is there some other stamping that would show wat gen it is?

the color of the plugs... whitish OBD-0 roundish (distributor at least). greyish and square (distributor side) OBD-1. I believe.... someone confirm this.

THere are a series of numbers on the head on the leftish side under the heatshield...

looks like this...

s3ecfcce4dbbaf.jpg

The number on the left is the date the head was cast, not nescessarily when it was installed by Honda, as mine came from a 93 civic VTi.

Also the plugs are milky white on the first gens, and the serial number starts with 1.

Originally posted by mezzmerizzencrx@Dec 11 2003, 01:31 PM
i know its a b16 by the front of the block no doubt, wat other way can i tell if its a 1st gen or a 2nd motor? they told me its a 93 EG JDM 2nd gen motor. is there some other stamping that would show wat gen it is?

1st gen should use a cable tranny - and check the plug color.

I believe a PR3 is an OBD1 ecu, or at least they make an OBD1 PR3 ECU, and I believe it came with the 92-93 XSI. Also SIRIIs came with hydro transmissions, did you put a cable one on? Are you using the HASport kit for a hydro tranny in an EF?

Back