Question about surging idle.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maybe ill muster up enough energy to walk to walmart.
who knows?
lol

maybe ill just try the hairspray thing.
but am i looking for the idle to go up or down? cuz it already is fluctuating.

Oh shit, you got me. Lol. I use that to look for vacum leaks, usually a vacum leak makes idle drop, so in that case Id be lookin for the idle to go up. Maybe now you just lookin for it to smooth out? I dunno, someone who does know will tell you.

i think ill bleed the coolant first, then if that doesnt help ill get some gasket maker.

whats the rule on different color coolants again?

dude, make it easier on yourself and check for a vacuum leak first... if you notice any change in the idle while doing it you know you have a leak..

Dont mix em. I was told once not to switch between em, but the source was sketchy, at best.

describe teh idle surge, what rpms is it surging from and to.. are they quick or slow? i've had 2 different idle surges with 2 different Hondas.. one was a vacuum leak, the other was the idle control screw

id understand not mixing them, but dont switch from one to another? that doesnt make sense.. lol

would spraying the hair spray lead to any problems later? like eg said it would be sticky.. the stickiness wont bother me anytime soon, but anything else?

describe teh idle surge, what rpms is it surging from and to.. are they quick or slow? i've had 2 different idle surges with 2 different Hondas.. one was a vacuum leak, the other was the idle control screw

it starts at about 700 and slowly climbs to about 3000 then drops down very quickly and starts the cycle again.

i think its getting too much air causing it to rise, then the ecu makes up for it by cutting it off causing it to drop.

Hairspray would just be sticky and collect dust.

Like I said, the whole part about not switching didnt come from the best source. Ive never tried it to tell you, I just stick to whats already in there.

ill just flush it all out if theyre different colors. cuz i have a full thing of straight antifreeze and need to add some.

thats not a vacuum leak.. its sounds exactly like when i had to adjust the idle air screw.. are you sure he did it correctly..

First start the engine hold the engine at 3000 RPM with no loads until the fan comes on then let it idle.

Disconnect the IACV Idle air control valve.

turn off the engine

start the engine with the throttle slightly depressed and stablize the idle at 1000 RPM then slowly release the throttle until the car Idles.

Check Idle with no loads on no radio ac headlights. Nothing at all on.

Idle should be 420 plus or minus 50 RPM if not adjust the Idle screw to make sure its at this RPM

turn off the engine reconnect the IACV Plug and remove the back up fuse from the under hood fuse box for 10 seconds

Restart and idle the engine for 10 min idle should be 650 plus or minus 50 RPM

Idle the engine for 1 min with the headlights on idle should be 700 plus or minus 50

turn off the headlights and idle the engine with the heater fan on high and the AC on for 1 min idle should be 810 plus or minus 50

IF you dont have a good idle after this check your ignition timing if its off get it to spec then restart this procedure

i havent done the idle adjustment yet cuz my car isnt here.
but i just remembered something.
i switched out the ecu and tcu cuz a dude at aamco said i might have the wrong computer and i checked the numbers and it was the wrong one(i think) so i bought the right ones from a junkyard. but im pretty sure that no one changed the ecu and tcu before me..
if its not the right ecu, could that cause the problem?
i know the one i got was from a 91.
and im pretty sure the numbers i got from the one that was in there said it was an 89.

i always thought the idle screw on the tb wasnt supposed to be adjusted from the factory position? and unless the car is leaking coolant from the intake the gaket is fine...check vacuum leaks my friend

i just thought of something too... when my CRX was doing this it happened right after i had my transmission rebuilt.. maybe its just a coincidence

there ya go.. i must've missed that part earlier.. you most likely have air in your coolant lines

Back