"rear Camber Kit"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
Ok, so my buddy awhile back had an idea to correct the bad camber in the rear cheaply. Its all by just putting washers inbetween the bolts that connect the rear upper control arm and the subframe. With about 3-1/16 washers of a good size for each bolt is all you need for about 2.0 degrees of bad camber due to lowering your car. He has drove on his "rear camber kit" for a good 4 months no problems yet. He just did this quick fix on my car and it took only about 20 minutes at the most with air. A tip to remove the rear upper control arm is to jack up the trailing to make it easier to put the bolts back in.

My car is a 93 hatch si, and his is a 88 standard w/ls , so its pretty easy with 4th, 5th gen, and maybe 6th gen.

This is just a quick how to, to help out the people with camber issues and want to resolve them in the rear to save some money on tires.

yep :) did it on mine about a year ago i got longer bolts too, just incase ;)

Originally posted by B16@Mar 27 2003, 11:28 PM
yep :) did it on mine about a year ago i got longer bolts too, just incase ;)

:werd:

Cheap and easy fix. Too bad those front kits aren't as easy ($160 later :( )

yeah you shouldn't have any problems. i bought a Pro Drive camber kit for $85, all 4 corners. all they give you for the rear are new bolts and 4 washers for each bolt. camber up to -1.75(rear).

You really shouldn't need any pics, it's very straightforward. After getting the wheel off, you can see two places on each side of the car where the upper arm bolts to the chassis. Remove the bolts and start adding washers. :)

Yeah, it works out nice for me . I put in about 3 washers and i wouldnt add nemore than 3 cuz the bolt isnt that long. i think im gonna put 4 in there and get longer bolts becuz my camber is WAY offf.!!! B)

Originally posted by Civic_88ls@Apr 1 2003, 11:21 PM
Yeah, it works out nice for me . I put in about 3 washers and i wouldnt add nemore than 3 cuz the bolt isnt that long. i think im gonna put 4 in there and get longer bolts becuz my camber is WAY offf.!!! B)

I had to get some new bolts as well. No big shizzy.

What size bolts did you use?? Did you just go to Lowe's?? How thick are the washers?
I just want numbers so I can go in there and get them out of the little boxes they have for the grab-it-yerselfer...
thanks

Doesn't matter how thick the washers are, that's kind of a trial and error thing. You slap on a few washers, put the wheel back on and put the car on the ground and either measure the camber at a shop or do it by eye. You may need to try it a few times. In fact, I've got an UNEVEN number of washers on each side since my two rear camber numbers were different, for some unknown reason.

Don't remember what the bolt was. If you can get a friend to give you a ride to the hardware store, just take it with you and match it up. Make sure you get a longer one though. :D

yea its a good idea if youre broke, but everyone has diff suspension setups, some lower than others and some off more than others. you might need more than 3 or 4 washers to fix, plus you wont know exactly unless you get it checked out anyway. my advice is just spend the money and get the rear kit. i was goin thru tires crazy fast in the back (also because of over zealous ebrake turns :lol: ) but i spent like 100 bucks and got the kit installed with alignment. but like most everything else, you get what you pay for.

Back