reconstructed title??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

00eknino

Hello fellas i just wanted to get some opinions on purchasing vehicles with reconstructed titles. I just purchased a 00 ek hatch (SOHC Vtec alarm brand new exhaust couple other little things) for 1300 the guy didnt say anything til I got there and took a look at the title he originally wanted like 1800 over the phone i brought it to 1500 then after i saw the title 1300. I think thats not bad. what do you guys think. But know my dilema is not sure if I want to invest money into it because of this? should I sell it and buy one that has a clean title??

Never a good idea to buy a salvage title car (what they call it in CA) But you could part it out and get all or most of your money back. Or you can keep it (although it may be 2 seperate cars welded together for all I know)

Salvage and reconstructed are two completely different things.

salvage title = severe damage, usually exceeding 75% of the car's value
reconstructed = car that has been rebuilt and is considered roadworthy, but used to be salvage/junk- has to pass inspection in most states

CARFAX - Glossary of Terms
What is a rebuilt title or a salvage title??

To the OP- the seller should disclose that the car has a reconstructed title. Although a reconstructed car typically has to pass inspection to be considered roadworthy and get that type of title, inspections don't catch everything, and there's no way to know what was rebuilt unless you're able to find the history of the car. Get receipts/crash report from the seller.

In some places, an engine theft or theft in general can cause a car to get a salvage title- in those cases, replacing the stolen parts or just recovering the car would give it a reconstructed title. I would personally have no problem buying a car like that if I knew the builder. A guy at work just bought a reconstructed title S4 from his brother-in-law in NYC- the car was recovered intact 3 weeks after a theft. No mechanical problems.

You really just have to know what happened to the car. If you're comfortable with it as is, stick with it- but you can get clean EK hatches for not too much more. By the way, I don't think there was a 6th gen hatch that came with VTEC from the factory in the US. Consider that.

Salvage and reconstructed are two completely different things.

salvage title = severe damage, usually exceeding 75% of the car's value
reconstructed = car that has been rebuilt and is considered roadworthy, but used to be salvage/junk- has to pass inspection in most states

CARFAX - Glossary of Terms
What is a rebuilt title or a salvage title??

To the OP- the seller should disclose that the car has a reconstructed title. Although a reconstructed car typically has to pass inspection to be considered roadworthy and get that type of title, inspections don't catch everything, and there's no way to know what was rebuilt unless you're able to find the history of the car. Get receipts/crash report from the seller.

In some places, an engine theft or theft in general can cause a car to get a salvage title- in those cases, replacing the stolen parts or just recovering the car would give it a reconstructed title. I would personally have no problem buying a car like that if I knew the builder. A guy at work just bought a reconstructed title S4 from his brother-in-law in NYC- the car was recovered intact 3 weeks after a theft. No mechanical problems.

You really just have to know what happened to the car. If you're comfortable with it as is, stick with it- but you can get clean EK hatches for not too much more. By the way, I don't think there was a 6th gen hatch that came with VTEC from the factory in the US. Consider that.

Back