removed head gasket today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I took off the head gasket today on my CRX and didnt notice any serious openings that coolant could have gotten through. There are spots near the pistons where the gasket was where oil clumped up. Is it possible for the coolant to make it through a gasket without there being a visually obvious break? If not, where else would make it into combustion? I was burning coolant so bad that my car wouldnt move from a stoplight until a few seconds late cause it was burning off the water to get to the gas then POOF white smoke. Lucky for me all the seals and rings are bad anyway, so even if the head gasket was good I have still acheived something.

Is there an o-ring or seal on the distributor that I should replace?

When I removed the flywheel cover, there was plenty of oil in the transmission bell-housing, is this from the rear main seal? any other possibilities?

well i know that with a new distributor you get an ORing (on the H22), so id say yes there is an oring to replace. i would also say that any worn spot on the gasket could be a cause for coolant in the engine. I dont know what other things you might be able to replace while the head is already off, but i think youve got most of it under control.

are you gonna pull pistons?
if you do rehone and change out the rings. Also change the rear main seal oil in the tranny usally co0me from it. as for colant leaks cheak the head for warping, and the block. make sure you use a new gasket

Got the new gasket waiting. I wasnt going to go for the pistons. I was hoping on the 'cheaper' fix. I was pretty sure it was the rear main seal leaking into the tranny, but wanted to check. Ill leave that for when I have to change the clutch, which im sure isnt too far off (throw-out bearing rattles). So far im changing cam seal, front main seal, spark plug tube seals, head gasket, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, dizzy oring, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, valve stem seals,timing belt. Please mention anything that may be missing from the list.

Can you pull the pistons without removing anymore of the upper end of the engine(rookie question)? I'd be happy fixing what Ive got done now, but if it wouldnt take much more to get the pistons.....

There was plenty of carbon buildup in 1 and 4 and some in 2 and 3. so oil was getting in from soemwhere (lets hope not the piston rings.)

Originally posted by Periculum+Jul 7 2005, 12:40 AM-->
Is it possible for the coolant to make it through a gasket without there being a visually obvious break?
[post=521981]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes- the sealing surfaces just may not be perfectly flat, or there could be some damage when a previous owner tried to change the head gasket. Make sure you resurface both the head and the block before you install the new gasket.

Periculum
@Jul 7 2005, 02:44 AM
Can you pull the pistons without removing anymore of the upper end of the engine(rookie question)? I'd be happy fixing what Ive got done now, but if it wouldnt take much more to get the pistons.....
[post=522005]Quoted post[/post]​

If you already have the head off the car, removing pistons is easy. You just have to drop the pan and main caps, then unbolt the rod caps from the bottom of the engine. I know a few people that actually prefer to remove/install pistons with the block still bolted in the car.

Might as well change or hone the pistons. I was planning on changing the oil pan gasket anyway. Is the rehoning a job I should just leave to a machine shop? Or would I just go with new pistons (probably really expensive?). Also, wheres a good place to buy rings?

If I were to take out the pistons, what are the main caps? Im assuming that they are accessible once the oil pan is off? How many more gaskets/seals would I need for that job?

How do I go about resurfacing the block? Ive heard I can do it myself, but I currently have no knowledge in that area.

Thanks for the tips

How many mile on this engine? You are headed for a rebuild from what I read above.

Sorry, but if you have to ask about surfacing the deck. I suggests geting it done.

180 on the engine. Thats why I was questioning the pistons. Wouldnt be too much more work from where im at right now.

Just reiterating the questions

Where to/what to buy in the way of piston rings for a d15b6?

What is rehone-ing a piston head? rookie or pro job?

Back