should i buy it???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rapom

ok so i have been looking for a prelude for awhile now, a friend found one that a friend of his has he has been looking to get rid of

its a 1999 prelude with a five speed manual in. it has 152,xxx miles and the engine was rebuilt at 136,xxx after it was blown up, but it smokes when you get up to around 4-5000 rpm, burning oil and it seems to leak oil from the back of the head, it has an aem cold air intake, magna-flow exaust (way too loud tho) interior is exelent, i would give it a 9/10, custom paint on it, nice silver-blue color, aftermarket stereo with hookups for subs, it has salvage title tho, and the normal bumps, but very clean car otherwise, guy is asking $3500 for it, i was thinking about something more like $2800, what do you guys think

also, he is going to throw in a chip that he never installed and change the oil pan gasket that is leaking

he said it was like a venom or something like that, he showed it to me, looked more like a piggy back ecu, but i have never chipped a car so i dont know, it was like a little box with some wires hanging off of it

also forgot to mention i took it to my cousin who has been a mechanic for 20+ years, he said that it will prolly need major work soon because of the smoke, i dont know how bad that is, but also at idle the head ticks, he dosent know what it is, neither do i, gah im sooo lost! :confused:

Head ticks could be the valves are loose.
Burning oil could be anything from the re-build (maybe rings) but it isn't
the oil pan that is burning oil...leaking oil...maybe but its probably the rings
I could advise you on how to trouble shoot the burning oil but it wouldn't be
worth it

Its a salvage title...not worth it. If he put money in it and is trying to get some
back out....that for him to work out. But I've always thought that salvage titles
are a bad investment. If it had a solid motor and you really really wanted it...
maybe for $2800 but not in the condition its in.

yea i was thinking rings, but not sure, never worked on a vtec so i dont know what would cause it, i drove it and it runs strong but this will be my first car and until i get my 240sx fixed it will be my only, but i dont want to buy something and be stuck working on it 3 months down the road

take it to a shop and have it looked at good, thats a super cheap price for that car

dont buy it, it wasnt rebuilt right. they prably threw some rings in it and called it a day... if it were rebuilt the right way it wouldnt be smoking.

Back