sigh... another build thread. but this one will also end without epicness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so i had an idea today. tell me what you guys think.

instead of using the heavy ass glass headlights (that i will most likely never ever use anyways) i was thinking about using the headlights as a mold. lay a sheet of carbon fiber over them, impregnate with resin and put in place of the headlight. THEN run a rectangular air horn with a tube running to the back of the brakes on both sides.

its just an idea at this point. my cf skills are not that great and it could turn out disasterous, but if i pull it off, it will be pretty awesome. you guys think i should attempt? or should i not even waste my time?

Sounds like a cool project. I would think it would be fine as long as you can always put headlights in if you want......you never know.

Ahemm....:fuckyou:

Or use the passanger light for cold air induction and the lower vents in the bumper for the brakes.

But still cool idea.

hahahaha sorry man. didnt mean to call you fat. :D

i am most likely going to make an enclosure around the itbs out of sheet metal and create a small scoop at the back of the hood to direct the air inwards. so no need for an airhorn dedicated to cold induction. i came up with this idea because i saw a car with sheet metal inserts for the headlights. it looked ugly but it was functional. then i thought "how can i make it look good and be even more functional?" then i came up with my idea. i am just weighing the positives and negatives. trying to decide if its more work than its worth. like i said, my carbon fiber laying skills arent that great and i plan on making at least three sets until i am happy with them so i dunno. thats why i need your guys help to talk me into/out of it.

I don't think you'll have room to run brake ducts from the headlights to the knuckle. I was going to do that with the Fogs on the sol and found it just wouldn't work, too many sharp bends. I just cut holes in the bumper and put in NACA ducts.

I don't think you'll have room to run brake ducts from the headlights to the knuckle. I was going to do that with the Fogs on the sol and found it just wouldn't work, too many sharp bends. I just cut holes in the bumper and put in NACA ducts.

i was thinking about routing them around the inside of the frame rail. it seemed like there would be enough room by just looking at it.

Get some 2.5" ducting first and test fit before you go off doing it. In an EG there is no way to make it happen; I can't imagine there is more room in the EF. The engine is in the way.. :p

not that big of a deal, i know but...the car is on the ground for the first time in like 6 months!

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

had my buddy weld up all the misc. rivet holes on the body. now i just need to put some time into body work and its painting time!!

DSCN1208.jpg

Pastel?????? Blue/Lavender Grey to me but I kinda suck at color recognition. Looks kinda like shiny chalk. One of my Dad's old hot rods, a 38 Chevy Coupe Pro Street, that he built in the 90's had a Green pastel color too. In the hot rod scene, it was the hot thing back then. He sold it for $32,000 and had almost $23,000 in it (plus all his time)

I think what ever color you paint it....it will look good!

Pastel?????? Blue/Lavender Grey to me but I kinda suck at color recognition. Looks kinda like shiny chalk. One of my Dad's old hot rods, a 38 Chevy Coupe Pro Street, that he built in the 90's had a Green pastel color too. In the hot rod scene, it was the hot thing back then. He sold it for $32,000 and had almost $23,000 in it (plus all his time)

I think what ever color you paint it....it will look good!

yea its audi aviator grey. it looks different in the sunlight too. a bit lighter. it was the best color i could think of that will give a nice contrast between the white engine bay and the gunmetal interior. kind of reminds me of a grey scale. i decided against white because white is boring for a track car.

TT_grey1189568943.jpg

I can dig it, but IDK about leaving the engine bay white. I know you put a lot of work in it but Id just flat black it if youre not going to respray in the gray.

Now I wanna see P-51 style exhaust details. Annoying as hell, but bad ass none the less.

p-51%20grab0003.jpg

Just make vents that look the part. At least they'd serve a purpose.

yea, repainting the engine bay isnt happening. way too much work to mask everything off at this point and respraying it would be the biggest pain in the ass ever. i really dislike mismatched engine bays but i think that the white and grey are such similar colors and the contrast of the interior will bridge the colors together. i told myself i wasnt going to do this, but i will get bored with white too quick so thats my only option.

Two tone to tie it in? :eek:
Maybe accent it somehow to where the whiteness of the engine bay is still relevant. Where did the Yellow valve cover some into play? I thought you went wrinkle red.

Two tone to tie it in? :eek:
Maybe accent it somehow to where the whiteness of the engine bay is still relevant. Where did the Yellow valve cover some into play? I thought you went wrinkle red.

nah no two tone. haha i ditched that idea long ago. i am waiting on a few weld in bungs from jegs to drill my other valve cover for a breather/catch can set up. once those are welded on, i am going to powdercoat the VC yellow and sell the red wrinkle one.

It came to me a few nights ago....thats the same color as that audi roadster that Tony Stark rolls in the preview for Ironman 2

I could swear I saw that color (it looks pastel) :shrug2:

Back