Smoking hot exhaust

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanks for the help all... If i were to do a head swap would the problem most likely be solved? being that there would be new gasket new dizzy and all... or would you recommend that before resolving the issue at hand? of course i would be putting on a different "model" head... anymore suggestions before yall get tired of my little novel.... thanks again

it depends on if the new head comes with a new distributor. please find someone with the same car, that runs normally (so you know the distributor is good) and swap it to your car. you'll need a timing light for when you put it back on their car, but seriously search these forums for distributors going bad, you'll find every symptom you can possibly think of, and you'll find they go bad more often than you think. seriously do NOT go blindly throwing money at a problem you havn't diagnosed. a head swap is a lot of money to do correctly, and locating a known-good distributor is only going to cost you time/effort. which do you have more of?

Thanx rex, here is a new symptom that just showed up tonight. it was running rough lost alot of power and popping then a shower of sparks came out the back... pulled over and the exaust was red hot... correct me if im wrong but if the cat was clogging that would possibly lead to the heat buildup and at least some of the problems? oh and there is most likely also a leak in the head gasket found a sandollar sized puddle of oil yesturday...

Last edited:
Thanx rex, here is a new symptom that just showed up tonight. it was running rough lost alot of power and popping then a shower of sparks came out the back... pulled over and the exaust was red hot... correct me if im wrong but if the cat was clogging that would possibly lead to the heat buildup and at least some of the problems? oh and there is most likely also a leak in the head gasket found a sandollar sized puddle of oil yesturday...

if the cat was clogged, i dontsee how the exhaust would get red hot.
thats crazy though.

well if the cat was clogged, it'd be really hot on the engine side of the cat, not on the exhaust side, causing the motor to overheat while driving, then cool off at idle. and it wouldn't rev past a certain RPM depending on how clogged it was. it could cause some of those symptoms, but the sparks out the exhaust thing should never happen, no matter how awesome it may have looked. i suggest pulling out a timing light and checking the ignition timing. if you're jumping teeth on that timing belt you're going to be replacing that motor very soon.

ok just want to check but the timing marks are on the "outside" part of the pulley on a d15b2 closer to the wheel well? and there is an issue with my timing cover whomever worked on it did something wrong and it is deviating into the path of the altinator belt... got a nice little gash in it so im not sure if the indicator has been moved any... did the best i could and it ran better for a second and back to the rough idle... would you suggest making slight changes until it is correct ignoring the indicator or could that just cause more damage? thanks again and rex you must have the patience of a saint to keep reading my novels

for real, it might be some kind of crazy backfire.
i bet if you checked your compression too you wouldnt have much at all.

well that timing belt cover cant move much before it comes into contact with the belt itself, so i'd put a timing light on it and see if i could get it close to the middle mark (of the three marks together, the lone mark is TDC, the middle is 16degrees bTDC.) if you have an advance timing light, make sure you turn the knob to 0degrees before you do this, or if you prefer, turn to 16 and set based on the lone TDC mark. and as far as i know, the marks are the same on all honda pullies, closest to the motor, not the wheelwell. if you're having trouble finding them try sanding the whole way around the pulley, they'll turn up.

Cats gotta be clogged, it would cause a lot of heat to build up in the exhaust manifold.

Back