So much WANT!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Whenever you get above the 125cc you're talking about a whole different ball game.

The MadAss IS hella expensive. But one can pick it up like a heavy mountain bike and put it places. You could even hang it from a hook. That's a benefit.

The Derbi GPR is really neat for what it is - I've ridden them. They are cool looking, really easy to ride - But even on a tight road, the bike is so slow that extreme leaning doesn't happen because you'll just fly into the guardrail. So at top speeds on tight New England roads, you're still not leaning to make curves. At all.

The Buell Blast is the PERFECT first bike. When you buy one, the value plummets below the ground, and you can find these things with 500 miles on them for like $1000. Their value simply craters. They are a bit boring of a bike though. Good commuter.

Now if price point is what you're looking for, check out a Royal Enfield. They are made in the same factory as Indian made harleys, and are built really, really well. 500ccs in a single-thumper that does more than it should.

It won't run for more than 1000 miles without you pulling out your toolbox, but they never claim it will. And you can get them in factory configs that are pretty neat.

What about the new Ninja 300 or the Cbr250?

Both are really good, but $1200-1500 more expensive than the Grom. Plus, I can't toss one of those in the back of a Pilot with the help of a friend. Those bikes will cruise on the interstate though...

Both are really good, but $1200-1500 more expensive than the Grom. Plus, I can't toss one of those in the back of a Pilot with the help of a friend. Those bikes will cruise on the interstate though...

Phillip's been building Ruckuses that hit 80mph no problem- this Grom should be a piece of cake. :D

I cannot stand riding an under powered torqueless bike on public roads, it's one thing for a small area with very little traffic but around any major city with traffic riding with other cars sucks.

They really need to offer at least the cbr250 motor in it.

I cannot stand riding an under powered torqueless bike on public roads, it's one thing for a small area with very little traffic but around any major city with traffic riding with other cars sucks.

They really need to offer at least the cbr250 motor in it.

I agree. I could never hit the back roads or highway with this thing. It is solely an in town, short distance commuter. Have you ridden a cbr250r? Above 50mph, the thing is glacial. I doubt one would fit anyways. That motor is watercooled and laid out totally different vs. the 125.

BTW, just got done putting 400 miles on the 919 down on SE Ohio twisties. I love that bike:)

I love my 919. I ride it 90% of the time I ride.

I love my 919. I ride it 90% of the time I ride.

The power band and riding position are perfect for the back roads. I just leave it in 4th and go. What octane do you run in yours? I have always stuck to 87 until today. Tried out 93, and it felt stronger in the midrange. Maybe it's just me, or maybe there is less timing retardation for knock. I also got close to 50mpg for the trip. In the past I have dipped into the high 30's:ph34r:

The power band and riding position are perfect for the back roads. I just leave it in 4th and go. What octane do you run in yours? I have always stuck to 87 until today. Tried out 93, and it felt stronger in the midrange. Maybe it's just me, or maybe there is less timing retardation for knock. I also got close to 50mpg for the trip. In the past I have dipped into the high 30's:ph34r:

I don't own a dedicated street bike, but i always run premium only in my bikes

87, the motor is designed for 87 and in fact 919s are known for stinking. running 93 makes them stink even more.

Btw the fuel injection system on the 919 is super old school. That's why it still has a choke. Timing retarding? Nah your just mental about it.

87, the motor is designed for 87 and in fact 919s are known for stinking. running 93 makes them stink even more.

Fair enough. Wow I didn't know there was a choke till just searching on Wrist Twisters. I've started that thing on sub 40 degree mornings and never needed it:confused: Throughout the day I swapped bikes with a Speed Triple and a Street Triple owner. I didn't notice much stink when following my bike.

FYI - Street triple leaves you wanting for more punch. The Speed Triple is amazing. That will be my next bike. It's like a 919 on steroids and with a little personality.

I can't wait to track my 03' R6 I picked up for the track. Had it tuned, 109 hp :D

this little grom has me thinking more about a little city commuter bike/scooter. Are there any other similar small bikes or scooter that have manual transmissions? I want to compare whats out there. I am 6'1" and have a bad lower back, so im not real keen on uncomfortable leaned-over seating positions.

Back