stroked gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well help me out fellas,
i came across a complete gsr b18c short block for hella cheap and it came with ls rods and crank that are seperete. the short block has all the factory gsr stuff and the guy that sold it to me was planning to sleeve it to 84.5mm and put in the ls rods and crank making it a 2.0 now i'm wondering if thats correct.

-i was also wondering if you put in the ls rods and crank will it clear the oil squirters?

-which bearing would you have to use if you put in the ls rods and crank?

-is there a big different in the ls rod/cranks vs. the gsr rod/crank beside the length and what it does to stroke?

-will the motor have the same charteristics of a b20 if i sleev the gsr and put int he ls rods/crank?

thanks for any help

dude, just get a b20 block. yes, the 84.5 sleeved gsr w/ls crank/rods will yeild the same 1996cc's as a 84.5 sleeved b20 and will have the same 89mm stroke as well. the oil squirters will need to be bent or cut. good luck

If you you use the ls rods and crank, you will have the SAME r/s ratio as an ls and the same as the b20. I say just skip the ls rods and crank, they are garbage for the high revs anyway if you are just gonna swap them and not put a junkload of cash into the motor. I say instead of swapping rods/crank, leave the gsr crank in there, and bore it out to 85 or 86 mm and get the block sleeved. You will spend the same amount of money on the bore job +about 800$ for the sleeves, and you will have a much more reliable motor. Don't give up the gsr's r/s ratio for the ls r/s, unless you have already done everything else. Just my 02.

itr and gsr crank = same RS ratio
LS and CRV crank = same RS ratio

they are both very very similar,,,I think the GSR is like 1.54 and the ls is 1.53, not enough difference to take into account.

well here is my problem i drove a b20-vtec the other day and liked the tq. and i have a extra gsr short block. just to know if i put the ls crank and aftermaket rods and have it sleeved. would it be a more reliable version of a b20 cause it would have the oil squirters?
i have a stroked gsr(b18c) now but it has no tq below 3.5k rpm, but it pulls on the high end. i just want a better city car. mean block to block racing. my car now has a full autocross set up. so it has to stay at high rpms to have power.
basically i just want my power band lower and more usable

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 28 2004, 12:33 PM
itr and gsr crank = same RS ratio
LS and CRV crank = same RS ratio

they are both very very similar,,,I think the GSR is like 1.54 and the ls is 1.53, not enough difference to take into account.

GSR/ITR is 1.581
LS/B20 is 1.539
:p

but if you put LS crank and rods into your GSR/ITR block, you will have the same R/S as the LS.

Originally posted by dragoon118@Mar 28 2004, 02:43 PM
well here is my problem i drove a b20-vtec the other day and liked the tq. and i have a extra gsr short block. just to know if i put the ls crank and aftermaket rods and have it sleeved. would it be a more reliable version of a b20 cause it would have the oil squirters?
i have a stroked gsr(b18c) now but it has no tq below 3.5k rpm, but it pulls on the high end. i just want a better city car. mean block to block racing. my car now has a full autocross set up. so it has to stay at high rpms to have power.
basically i just want my power band lower and more usable

The oil squirters don't make that much of a difference, especially with the aftermarket forged pistons that you're going to have to use with a non-OEM bore size. They're really just for cooling pistons, and forged pistons have a much higher heat tolerance than OEM forged- so you really don't need them if you're not able to use them. Quite a few race teams actually remove the oil squirters because they just add windage loss to the engine from oil squirting on the bottoms of the pistons. It's a nice touch to keep them if you're running on the street, but they're not necessary at all.

I have to say one thing that has three words - Partial Throttle tuning!!!

Its something people overlook and wonder how they have no torque in midrange etc. So they go ahead and spend a crap load of cash on parts when all they had to do is buy hondata, ofcourse from www.truehonda.com (heheh, jk) and then tune partial throttle. S200 system + Dyno + Tuning = Good stuff.

Eddie

Originally posted by bublik@Apr 20 2004, 10:47 AM
I have to say one thing that has three words - Partial Throttle tuning!!!

Its something people overlook and wonder how they have no torque in midrange etc. So they go ahead and spend a crap load of cash on parts when all they had to do is buy hondata, ofcourse from www.truehonda.com (heheh, jk) and then tune partial throttle. S200 system + Dyno + Tuning = Good stuff.

Eddie

I agree that people tend to spend mor emoney on the parts than on tunning them properly, but honestly...WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THIS THREAD! He is asking about LS crank and rods in a GSR not about Hondata and tuning. Open your eyes and read!

matt

p.s.- I agree with staying with the GSR crank and rods unless you want to dump cash into the motor. also forget about the oil squirters...they are over rated when the rest is properly built.

Back