Subframe Tear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

Has anyone had experiance/ have info on what suspension stiffening setups tend to cause subframe warp/tear? I have heard a few things about strut bars and such, and how if you leave an upper without a lower, it can cause uneven flex in the subframe and subsequent tearing. Is it always a good idea to do front/rear upper/lower all at the same time? so that it is a uniform change? It seems to make sense to me that iff you stiffen the front of the car, and don't stiffen the rear, it would cause the frame to "twist" clockwise and counter clockwise unevenly.

If anyone has any tech articles or extended expertise on the subject I would appreciate it, I'm in the process of planning my suspension mods. Thanks y0!

interesting. i wonder about that too. ever since i got my suspension mods, i feel like one big bump on the freeway is gonna break something cause my car rides pretty stiff.

the front is re-inforced, while the rear is not.

what generally tears out is caused by rear sway bars.
soloution- rear tie with a beaks-style kit.

you also need to have the proper spring rates and shocks to go with your rear sway bar. if they are too soft the sway will rip the subframe. if you dont plan on getting a stiffer set up to prevent body roll, then def. get some type of kit.

no type of re-enforcement on the jdm itr rear bar, tracked and no subframe problems for over 4 years.

so am i better off getting just a lower tie bar over suspension techniques front and rear sway bars?

the purpose of a tie bar is to help support the subframe- not to give you better handeling, even if it does offer a little rigitity.

sways bars own strut bars and tie bars in every aspect of handeling if you ask me

Back