Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lostinmiself

That Guy....
I am in Spokane,WA and i blew the rods through my block yesterday and now my car is dead. I was thinking of insted of parting it out just to do a swap. Now i need some help. I have $500, a JDM Z1 Head, an A1 head (both DOHC) and some misc stero subs (2 15s, and a 12, and a 800W amp) I was thinking of doing a B18 swap. i need to have someone help me out. I dont know what to do...any advice. My car a 90 Si hatch

Well an LS is a good motor for a first swap, easy to do (especially in an Si) but $500 bucks isnt going to get you one. You can find another D16A6 for that much though, swap that back in until you can save some money for the LS if you decide to go that direction.

yah...have been looking at some b18s or b16...something around there maby i have not the slightest idea of what to do from here tho. i have no where the tools to do it and nor the place so....im screwed i guess....yippie for me

So i figured something out. I am either getting a JDM D16a6 V-tec Complete swap and install for $900....or a JDM ZC V-tec Complete swap and install for $950 depending on the avalibality. I thing id rather have the ZC but what do you feel is the better swap...wit possible future plans for boost...(just headers intake plugs wires for now)

Id say if you are going to buy a turbo, you might want to wait until you get a b-series motor or something more powerful to do it with. I could have put a turbo on a d15, but I thought it would be kind of a waist. My suggestion is to put a b16 head on a b18 block and turbo that. Its an easy swap, easy to turbo, and way more powerful.

If you are wanting to to boost one of those though, Id say go with the zc motor. You'll get more performance out of it.

Yah that is what i have ben told/read. i hope the zc motor will be the one to get....i just have to wait for the call back from the shop and then i will start the swap im thinking to have it all installed by sun. any sudjestions of bolt-ons for parts? (headers intake....ect.)

UPDATE:

I am geting the DOHC JDM ZC motor. I ordered it yesterday and it will be at the shop on fri! Lookin for a cheep header and intake to throw on. Going to take off a/c, and what ever else that i need to to make a little bit more hp. I am payin $950 with the complete install (being that i dont have the right tools and the shop to do it in...YET), and i get a 50,000 24MO warrenty (aslong as i am not doing anything stupid with it) so my next step is either some decent suspension or rims if you have some cheep headers or intake pm me tho other than that....yay for me!! i will get pics asap

so you get the swap installed for $950?

thats a really good deal.

don't mess with the intake and header. it's not going to give you enough power to make it worth your money. work on brakes, wheels, tires and suspension first.

yah installed for $950. I knew that intake didnt do anything foy ya...(just sound) but i thought header did some good...i am proven wrond yet again!! any ideas on suspension and brakes that are easly installed ( i dont have mych for tools yet...pawn shop here i come!!) and not to dificult to take on by my self>?

werd.. a nice spring or coilover/shock combo and sticky tires will be far more beneficial to you

suspension is fairly easy.. you can always rent tools at autozone as well.. for ones you really dont wanna buy, but just borrow

i/h/e might get your 5-8hp at the wheels. you would feel more difference by gutting your car of all the stereo stuff and spare tire.

you dont' really need a pawn shop. you just need a metric socket set and a pry bar right now. you can get some cheap electric or air tools at harbor freight when you have more money.

yah....i have a metric set of box wrenches (9-15mm) and some basic philly flathead, coupple cresent wrenches and thats about it....yah i was thinkin of gutting the car minus the front 2 seats....getting either racing seats or some gsr leather http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1040740032.html
or even some newer buckets from another hatch...im not sure yet as for the springs shocks....what "kit" is most benefishal? i have ben reading the book Honda/Acura Preformance where they take a 93 si and re build it...it says that a good suspension can do wonders on a car. as for some good rubber what determins "good"? well look forward to your reply

you need 8,17, and 19mm for a honda.

del sol seats are a great addition. they are like racing seats and you can snag them for $150. best oem seats imho.

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
I just got pictures of the damage....makes me cry.

Attachments

• good.JPG
    good.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 84
  • sad.JPG
    sad.JPG
    358.8 KB · Views: 76
See you in April, OGMatt on here and I are going too.

My dad has a black 91 Si hatch. We bought it with a rod through the block too.

You also could have done a D16Z6 swap instead. It has the same ammount of power and it has more aftermarket support too. Things like cams, headers, intake manifolds are easy to get. Its also a USDM motor so most autowrekers would have one.

Last edited:
See you in April, OGMatt on here and I are going too.

My dad has a black 91 Si hatch. We bought it with a rod through the block too.

You also could have done a D16Z6 swap instead. It has the same ammount of power and it has more aftermarket support too. Things like cams, headers, intake manifolds are easy to get. Its also a USDM motor so most autowrekers would have one.

True the problem with that
1. I dont have the shop or tools to do that yet
2. Spokane....let me tell you there is nothing here hard to get parts here
3. I needed a replacement motor fast...granted i found another D16 block for only 100...i figured that if i was going to do some swaping i might as well go all out. I met the guy who is doing this for me via CraigsList i have a DOHC JDM Z1 head and a DOHC A1 head that i was selling and he happen to mention that he could get jdm swaps for lower that egay and most of the sites out there installed.....so i opted to do that.

well look out fot the 90Si next i am going to need some cosmetic upgrades!!! new lights bumper here i come!! (after a few more paychecks and a $400 tax return)

Back