Synchromesh Review

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Hope this is the right forum, so here we go:

So I went to Autozone and bought 3 quartz of the Pennzoil Synchromesh. I put it in the tranny and now I am kind of regreting it.

The Good:
shifts during normal driving are nice and buttery
reverse is easier to get into
grinds at lower rpms dissappeared
slides right into first gear while slowing down with little effort

The Bad:
I started to have grinds in 2nd and 4th gear while racing
when the fluid heats up, isn't as efficient

my overall opinion, I don't like it. I can feel the difference under normal conditions, but while racing i was disappointed. So if you have slight grinds and what-not, Synchromesh is not magic fluid. It might help your grinds, it might not. i'm going to try Honda MTF on my next fluid change. Don't get me wrong though, the fluid is doing what it was intended for, I just had higher hopes for it.

Incase you were wondering, I was using Exxon 10w-30 in my tranny before.

go to a chevy dealer and get friction modified synchromesh. You have the wrong stuff. I use a bottle of synchromesh in my tranny with the rest honda mtf and it is super smooth all the time, including spirited driving.

Originally posted by driverunknown@Aug 24 2005, 07:03 PM
go to a chevy dealer and get friction modified synchromesh. You have the wrong stuff. I use a bottle of synchromesh in my tranny with the rest honda mtf and it is super smooth all the time, including spirited driving.
[post=544813]Quoted post[/post]​

The Pennzoil stuff is the exact same stuff, as far as Synchromesh goes. As for the Frction modified version of it, I was told by numerous people that the Friction Modified stuff was made for LSD. Since I don't have LSD, I wouldn't benefit from it.

dont race your tranny if its rough???? if you grind, you've done damage, simple as that... if you grind when you shift super hard, your tranny doesn't want to do that, simple as that.

worked great on my si crx third gear grinded at high revs but doesnt do it as bad as it did before i give the product a 8.5 out of 10

i got the regular syncromesh too, but was told you need the syncromesh with friction modifier...

thats the miracle worker...

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Aug 24 2005, 06:33 PM-->
driverunknown
@Aug 24 2005, 07:03 PM
[post=544813]Quoted post[/post]​

The Pennzoil stuff is the exact same stuff, as far as Synchromesh goes. As for the Frction modified version of it, I was told by numerous people that the Friction Modified stuff was made for LSD. Since I don't have LSD, I wouldn't benefit from it.
[post=544857]Quoted post[/post]​

This is true. For transmissions, you want to use oils that do not have a friction modifier in them.

Example: You want to use Redline 75W90NS -or- MT-90 in your transmission, and use Redline 75W90 Gear Oil in a rear diff. The 75W90NS is manufactured without a friction modifier.

Never heard that you don't use the friction modified on non LSD trannies. All I have heard is that the friction modifier is the key to p[erformance, just syncromesh is more a name brand than a cure all.

It doesn't matter whether the tranny is equipped with an LSD - oil without a friction modifier is better for a tranny, while oil with a friction modifier (either from the factory or added by the user) is better for an LSD.

Back