Tar...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nici

It's stinky!!! Any advice how to scrape it off?

*oops.. I just realized this was "swap only" questions.... I'm sorry*

So.. about that tar... It's stuck to the bottom of my exhaust pipe and it smells like ass.

Should I heat it up and peel off the goo?
Should I make sure it's cold enough to scrape off?

need more input!! :)

use something non-abrasive so as to not scratch it
go to a car part store and buy this stuff called 'bug and tar remover'
works wonders :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 15 2002, 12:20 PM
'bug and tar remover'

that stuff in the spray can? oh man its good...i sometimes...rarley...almost never use mothers aluminum polish...for my exhaust...it looks like its a titanium hks muffler right now...it hasnt been washed for a good month or so...

edit: but any aluminum polish will work good toO!

I kinda have the same thing but residue is forming on my bumper. Is this normal after getting a cat back? Also i have black grime all over the exhaust tip, might be the same stuff that is on the bumper. Does anyone else have this problem?

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 17 2002, 08:46 PM
I kinda have the same thing but residue is forming on my bumper. Is this normal after getting a cat back? Also i have black grime all over the exhaust tip, might be the same stuff that is on the bumper. Does anyone else have this problem?

i have black soot all over the inside tip of my exhaust and i heard that its caused by a rich fuel mixture. of course, i haven't cleaned it out since i discovered i was firing on only 3 cylinders (thats been fixed with a new dist. cap).

it could indicate worn plugs, worn plug wires, dirty injectors (#1 cause), need for a new dist. cap and rotor, timing out of adjustment, etc. all these things could cause your engine to run rich.

i think that even if your engine is tuned properly, you will still get a little bit of black residue anyway.

here's why i say i was running on 3 cylinders:
fd3901f4.jpg

If the black carbon buildup is extremely bad, to the point of staining your bumper and/or building up really thick inside the tip, yeah, you might wanna check some shit out. But if the inside of the tip is just black (even if its REALLY black, so long as its not super thick) then don't worry about it. Its impossible to have zero hydrocarbons in your exhaust, so you will always have some soot.

Back