They can't be THAT great...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrTokai

wussup guys...just got my slipstreams in n i'm naturally shittin my pants to get em onto my car...of course i need the $$$ to get some tires before i can do that (son of a bitch...)

Now, i'm pretty much set on the azenis since it seems to be the tire of coice, especially with these wheels, but i wanna know about some of the tires' drawbacks...

i've heard shitty wet traction and that they wear out in two summers...but these statements are from notorious shit talkers, so i wanna hear from u guys!

good luck finding some azenis, I've heard they suck ass to try and get in certain sizes now. But yes, azenis do wear out fast. They are a very soft tire. Thats the price you pay for better traction. Their wet weather performance I'm not sure about.

are you talking about using them for drag racing? road racing? how good they work in a turn?

-They suck at the track, shifting from 1st to 2nd with the turbo fully spooled, all I do is spin tires all the way to redline. Although before the turbo kit was put on they worked great and I guess they would have worked better if I would have lowered the pressure in my tires.

-On the street they work a little better, not so much spin shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Still had less tire spin back when I was n/a.

-Driving on twisty roads, I personally think they work great. I was driving a couple of times and had to take some pretty hard turns going pretty fast and I know without the azenis I doubt I would have made the turn.

So I guess it depends on what kind of power your car is putting out, what you're using them for, tire pressure, and of course weather always plays a role, if it's wet outside they most likely won't work that great.

COld weather they suck, and they pick up sand in the road and shoot it all over the side your car. Its annoying as fuck to drive with them on sandy road since all you hear is every grain of sand hitting your car. They are good for summer driving. Like the guy bove me said there are a few corners that they most likely saved my ass. I love the tires and will not use another summer tire on the crx.

Like everyone said, they suck at the drag strip. They are heavy, and offer little straight line grip.

For the rain, they are not that bad. Just keep the car at the speed limit, and your fine. Dont go 90 through standing water.

They do wear out pretty quick, but they are so cheap for how good of a tire you get, it is quite worth it.

They are probally the BEST autocross tire for the money that you can drive on the street also. They offer ALOT off turning traction.

For a roadcourse, they are pretty good, however, after a few laps, they turn pretty greasy.

Edit, also, they are suicide in the snow.

i have continental conti extremes on my 18"

ive had no problems and they have great all season contact. (especially during the wet weather)

the only complaints i have heard about the contis are the weaker sidewall (on larger tires) and they get flat spots during the cold season (with a few minutes of driving they go away)

I havn't had any problems off the line either (unwelcome slip), YET

18's blow

18's are not for honda's. That is all. You cant compare any tire/wheel package to 18's. That is like asking "how are honda's on road course" and getting a responce "I have a Honda Pilot, I like it"

its a worthless responce.

You probably aint gonna be spinning those 18's too much no matter what tire you got. I like 18's on a show car, but id never try to race em, too fuckin heavy

I've been really happy with my azenis. I have trouble with traction in first and some of second at the drag strip, as far as taking corners go im very satisfied. The tires are sticky and do pick up a lot of dirt and small rocks. Ive only had one problem in the rain with them on my car, but i also suspect that i would have had the same thing happen no matter what type of tire i would have had on.

the azenis are a great tire for their purpose- daily drivable street-class autox'er, excelent cornering, excelent high-speed stability, excelent braking.

if you're trying to drag on them, you're an idiot.
if you're trying to road race on them, you're an idiot.
if you're using them as snow tires, or all seasons, you're an idiot.
if you want them to last 1200,000,000 miles, you're an idiot.

the same can be said for everything.

if you want to go ride bikes in the woods, do you buy a 10speed? no- you buy a mtn bike. if you want to do a little of both, you buy a hybrid- and do neither well, but neither is impossible. the same goes for all seasons.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 04:47 AM
the azenis are a great tire for their purpose- daily drivable street-class autox'er, excelent cornering, excelent high-speed stability, excelent braking.

if you're trying to road race on them, you're an idiot.
if you're using them as snow tires, or all seasons, you're an idiot.
if you want them to last 1200,000,000 miles, you're an idiot.

the same can be said for everything.

if you want to go ride bikes in the woods, do you buy a 10speed? no- you buy a mtn bike. if you want to do a little of both, you buy a hybrid- and do neither well, but neither is impossible. the same goes for all seasons.

Well said :spin:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 30 2004, 04:47 AM

i resent that, you ass!! :p :lol: all i do is drag on them and they have worked better than every other tire i have experienced...although i have yet to use actual slicks, :doh: azenis have been pretty good to me as far as drag goes, i haven't really tested them for anything other than drag either lol

The Azenis' sidewalls are too stiff to launch well on the strip... get something more flexible, like a drag radial from BFG.

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 30 2004, 12:59 PM
The Azenis' sidewalls are too stiff to launch well on the strip... get something more flexible, like a drag radial from BFG.

:withstupid:

BFG dr's own j00!

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 30 2004, 01:27 PM
:werd:

Time to sell the NT555R set that I've never used...

What size are they and how much do you want for them?
My roommate and I so some auto-x's around here (they are a mile away from home), and he used to run Azenis and liked them, now he is running the new Kumho MX and loves them, he claims it is a better tire for the cash than the azenis, as far as their wear we do not know yet as auto-x season has just started.
I personally have been running AVS ES 100s as my car still has not reached the power or suspension level to need softer tires at an auto-x. After this summer it will be a different story though.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Mar 30 2004, 05:26 PM
What size are they and how much do you want for them?

205/45/15- they have 3 runs on them from the previous owner, then he sold them to me and I never used them. I'll take $150 for the pair, plus shipping.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 29 2004, 05:16 PM
For a roadcourse, they are pretty good, however, after a few laps, they turn pretty greasy.

i haven't really had that happen to me and i push my car pretty good on the road course. it is the most popular tire at the road course as far as hpde's go, everyone runs them.. unless you are stupid rich and can afford the toyo RA1 hehe. but 30 min sessions on them do better than any other street tire i've ever used on the track.

Back