thinking about selling the M

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
well,

i've been debating this for a while now....

i love this car to death, and its so worth the money on it... but with the house, its going to be kinda tight.
reality sets in that its probably best to get something cheaper.
reality sets in again, that winter is fast approaching.... which means i'll need another car again... and i don't really have a budget for it this year with the house (my closing costs are eating up nearly 10 grand of my savings... which kills my winter car fund).

So, i'm thinking about selling it/trading it in for something cheaper that i can use year round.

i'm thinking about getting an S4. and older one, like an 00 or 01.
i know these cars have their problems... but they are f'in cheap now.
example: 2000 AUDI S4 (6484452)

basically, that car is 1/4th the cost i'm paying for now.
would drop my monthly from 850 to 350 ish
so, that would leave me 500 a month for repairs, to break even.

yeah, its kinda high mileage, and i'm just using that as an example car...

for 10-12 grand, i can pick up an S4, and even if it needs headgaskets, new turbos, or whatever, in the long run i'll still come up cheaper.... and have a car i can use in the winter as well.

Other thoughts were buying a mid 90's tacoma or something for a couple grand and a civic. i'll probably need a truck for the house any way, and i can use the civic for a beater.... but i know i won't be happy with that.
truck + s4 is probably too much as well, as i don't have any cash now, so i'll have to finance both, which is stupid.

i'm about even on the M... maybe i'll loose a couple grand from payout to what i owe, but i really don't care.

Say whatever you want to say, the car was a bad choice.

Period.

Go ahead, cover it up :) This is your Uncle Cel you're talking to.

By the way, we all know here that the used Civic is THE smartest car in the world you can buy.

tacomas didn't start until 95, they're pretty expensive to get your hands on and have rust issues
specifically bed sides, and frames
otherwise they are great trucks, but do you really need a truck for the house?
i understand if you'll be doing DIY but do you really have time for that?

after the M no "pratical" car will ever make you happy

im feeling the same why as you are. the differance is i admit mine was a horrible choice and im going to get a truck.

i'll need a truck for stupid shit...

like when i buy a lawnmower in the spring... how will i get it home?

if you're gonna get a truck, get something newer you can drive daily too. 4wd tacoma would be a good choice.. maybe a 99-00.. .. no need for 2 cars.. thats what the GF is for..

Ride the lawnmower home. :D

Well, if you sell it, I really enjoyed driving the beater truck my uncle had. Useful. It was pre-tacoma days... I think the Legacy was a good option. Room in the back... get one of those Xover vehicles. :ph34r: I agree... why need 2 cars? Get one you can use as a truck. Hell, we could fit all kinds of crap in the xB. We moved me out of my condo and into this house with it. Got home toolboxes on wheels too.

He's just going to end up like me in a year....ton's of projects, dead cars in the driveway, and still living from paycheck to paycheck....

or he could take the advice we all offer him...and he prosper better than most of us. Like, keep the M, pick up a beat up old outback for hauling and winter duties, and it also holds quite a payload for house projects. I've had no real problems with my leggy, except bald fat oversized tires on an uphill slope on a 2" iced over road.....but with the right tires for the season...I would have no complaints.

Picked up the 95 leggy FWD, for $1200 two years ago...put about 50,000 miles on it and all that I changed on it was the brakes, front and rear, a steering rack, A/C belt, wheels and tires a few time for pimp status, and the oil. Still tapping 30 MPG as well. And the A/C still blows cold as hell there's Ice on the windshield. Best car I"ve ever bought that took me to work everyday, and I've never had to use AAA for it once.

Up on the market for $800 with stock wheels, the watanabe's will go with the car for $1200 obo.... when I get the CRX back on the road, and the wife buys a 2005 outback for the beater for the next 5-10 years.

Since I've owned a Subaru...I've never seen one on the side of the road except once...when there was that big rain and Wallingford flooded out...there was a 96 leggy in the puddle that someone, prolly a lady couldn't drive thru...and went off the road and landed in a pond. Prolly shitty tires or something.

I rented a U-haul to get my lawn mower home.......

$19.99 to rent a uhaul, $5 for gas to get a decent $1200 cupholder'ed riding lawnmower to your house....

Don't do anything that Airjockie does.

Period.

i'll need a truck for stupid shit...

like when i buy a lawnmower in the spring... how will i get it home?

I was gonna say buy it in the box, take it home and put it together but knowing your mechanical ability, I don't know about that.

You know no one with a truck that you could borrow?

Back