Thinking about ditching the genesis...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

but you live in Texas lol.....We have snow and ice...a 300HP RWD vehicle is not really practical in CT as a daily driver

Sure it is! Oh, and the little switch in the center console goes between 2WD, 4WD, and 4LO. :D

The rundown: M5 fits the bill perfectly. Gorgeous. Powerful. Rear drive. Quiet. Handles superbly. etc etc.. B had one. B didn't want to pay for it. B is now unhappy with everything else in a pauper's price range. Because he had the real deal, and now he is trying to find a comparable vehicle at half the price. Just not going to happen.

Options, then.

1: Pony up the dough and buy an M5.
2: Don't. And accept that automotive greatness does not come in the form of korean econocars.
3: Start shopping a comparable market. Aston, Mercedes, etc.

I've seen Maserati Quattroportes in the area for under $25k...

you should get the clutch done, and there is a dyno day coming up at the end of the month at ECS just about 25 minutes from you - they deal with turbo genesis all the time.

if it makes you feel a little better, my car is pinging too. shortly after the TK intake. not completely positive yet if it was the intake or just shitty hot weather and i didn't reset the battery. i've moved from 87 crapstations to 87 top tier 3rd tank with no real change. going to try 89 next..

I've only ever run 93 in the car.

I honestly don't know if its detonation, or just metal creaking from the immense heat as it expands/gets red hot/etc/etc. but its all on the intake/driver side from what I can hear. and that stuff like the exhaust manifold and turbo are on the passenger side. but, that's also the closer window to me driving so who knows what I might hear on the other side of the car.

i'm not complaining about the clutch- I expected it to be replaced. it's a wear item and it's not covered under the warranty anyway (like brake pads) I just don't want to dump the money in if its just going to blow up tomorrow anyway. because if I spend all my money on a clutch and dyno and yadda yadda and it goes, I have no money to fix/swap it

the real question is, it was fine on the map for 2+ years, now its not. what's changed? nothing parts-wise. I've kept up with all maintenance and had the dealer do it all so its logged. the plugs weren't suggested until 60k. I did them at 30. all I really did was an intake, reflash, and catch cans. otherwise, its stock. and I've had all said mods since the time of the 2 years of goodness to boot.

if it is detonation, why isn't the computer pulling timing? there's no power loss at all when it does it.

I've never had an m5. I can't afford to pay the taxes on an m5 in this stupid state.

Why not just find a shop in your area that deals with modded cars and drop it off for a clutch and once over. When they give it a good bill of health, be happy with it.

the real question is, it was fine on the map for 2+ years, now its not. what's changed?

Good line of thinking.

Temperature.
How about gas blends that are allowed in the state? (Did they increase ethanol blends in your state recently?)
Wear and tear items like plugs that could be fouled.
MAF sensors or air filters that can be clogged/dirty.

I'm sure there's much more car savvy techs on here that can think of some other ideas.

The rundown: M3 fits the bill perfectly. Gorgeous. Powerful. Rear drive. Quiet. Handles superbly. etc etc.. B had one. B didn't want to pay for it. B is now unhappy with everything else in a pauper's price range. Because he had the real deal, and now he is trying to find a comparable vehicle at half the price. Just not going to happen.

Options, then.

1: Pony up the dough and buy an M3.
2: Don't. And accept that automotive greatness does not come in the form of korean econocars.
3: Start shopping a comparable market. Aston, Mercedes, etc.

Fixed...it's definately hard to go backwards from an M3....Other then the truck....it would suck to drive anything less then my Infiniti.

Fixed...it's definately hard to go backwards from an M3....Other then the truck....it would suck to drive anything less then my Infiniti.

He's basically not losing anything that he had with the M3, other than status, if he goes to a 2007+ 335. Option of 2 or 4 doors. Option of RWD or AWD. Different engine feel but near identical performance stats when chipped.

He's basically not losing anything that he had with the M3, other than status, if he goes to a 2007+ 335. Option of 2 or 4 doors. Option of RWD or AWD. Different engine feel but near identical performance stats when chipped.

yeah that's kinda what i was getting at....status...hyundai has that new Equus...it might turn out that it's better and has more features then a Mercedes 500 series and if people were smart they might buy the Equus but you aren't going to get the status rocking a Equus as you would a Mercedes 500 as nice of a car as it is.

Some people would rather rock an older Mercedes then a newer Hyundai...i'm probably one of those guys....like i always say...drive whatever makes you happy at the time.

the equus is a giant car. takes up half the showroom at my dealer.

right next to the gorgeous matte turbo...... mmm

Good line of thinking.

Temperature.
How about gas blends that are allowed in the state? (Did they increase ethanol blends in your state recently?)
Wear and tear items like plugs that could be fouled.
MAF sensors or air filters that can be clogged/dirty.

I'm sure there's much more car savvy techs on here that can think of some other ideas.
temps are same as last years... nothing abnormal weather wise.
no gas blend changes
just changed plugs, air filter is clean
no maf... map-based car.
no breaking up, hesitation, etc... it just doesn't like it any more.

I don't even know if its really detonation. that's the kicker. it sure sounds like it, but who knows.

I put the oem program on the car and not only is it slow as balls, it still does the noise a little bit around 4-5k.

i'm just going to keep it like this for a while and continue to weigh options. the clutch holds it full throttle too.

i'm probably going to put the oem air box back on this weekend too, then its basically all stock save for the catch can (which was emptied recently).
:shrug2:

If it makes you feel any better, the CR-Z pings under full throttle at low speeds. I think it's the exhaust gasket leaking from the downpipe though, not actually pinging. Don't really care enough to find out.

Have you done any bench-tests on your MAP sensor? Can you hook a scangauge or something to the car to make sure it's boosting correctly, and then make sure it's showing the correct pressure (14.69PSI) when the engine is not running?

Are you sure the gasoline didn't change? Still going to the same station and the same pump? You're using the high-test, right, not the mid-grade blend? Have you tried going to the station's owner and asking if they switched fuels or suppliers?

I don't have any scan tools, so its not really an option. everything feels the same though.

I've tried many different stations, always 93. no difference.

I can ship you an OBD2 scan gauge if you want to try it out and see if there's a MAP sensor problem.

Have you looked at the throttle body under some bright light?

Can you explain the situations in which it pings a bit more? Maybe make a video of your speedo/tach and narrate what you're doing with your feet and hands?

I tied to get it on film but there's just too much wind noise to hear anything.

basically 3500-5500 ish, more than 3/4 ish throttle for full boost, it sounds like hot metal being dipped in ice water creaking kinda noises.

3rxtcy.jpg

images

Back