timing issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SnailTrail

Ok heres the scoop. Put in a D15B sohc vtec. i changed the belt with a 1.5L vx timing belt from napa. Its on tight, but it looked like its off by 2 teeth. didnt drive it much and its in a shop cuz i missconnected a plug on the harness & had to T off a vucuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the evap purge solenoid(jdm p08 IM doesnt have evap purge on the back). So... long storry shorter.its in a shop, they say i got the wrong timing belt. I say BS i bought a 1.5L vtec belt for it from NAPA. Then they say there was no vtec in 92 ! lol omg im not ever taking my car back there. hello, VX is Vtec-E from 92-95 @ 1.5L, then in 96 it is 1.6L vtecE D15Z. so since ill prolly be taking my car back and redoing the belt AGAIN :whatafucktard: :withstupid: , how should i do the timing for the belt in respect to the uper part of the timnig cover- i see the marker on the crankshaft and the white mark on the crank-pulley. But how to do the camshaft w/marks... and the dizzy? What is the degrees at for dizzy 16,18,20 tdc using a P28 ecu and 91 octane gas ??? AnY serious and constructive help appreciated. :ph34r:

Originally posted by SnailTrail@Mar 16 2004, 11:10 PM
Ok heres the scoop. Put in a D15B sohc vtec. i changed the belt with a 1.5L vx timing belt from napa. Its on tight, but it looked like its off by 2 teeth. didnt drive it much and its in a shop cuz i missconnected a plug on the harness & had to T off a vucuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the evap purge solenoid(jdm p08 IM doesnt have evap purge on the back). So... long storry shorter.its in a shop, they say i got the wrong timing belt. I say BS i bought a 1.5L vtec belt for it from NAPA. Then they say there was no vtec in 92 ! lol omg im not ever taking my car back there. hello, VX is Vtec-E from 92-95 @ 1.5L, then in 96 it is 1.6L vtecE D15Z. so since ill prolly be taking my car back and redoing the belt AGAIN :whatafucktard: :withstupid: , how should i do the timing for the belt in respect to the uper part of the timnig cover- i see the marker on the crankshaft and the white mark on the crank-pulley. But how to do the camshaft w/marks... and the dizzy? What is the degrees at for dizzy 16,18,20 tdc using a P28 ecu and 91 octane gas ??? AnY serious and constructive help appreciated. :ph34r:

I recently did this same swap (JDM D15B) into a '92Si... replacing the original D16Z6 that had developed a rattle. Anyway... sounds like you have the correct belt for the JDM D15B... must have 103 teeth... same as the USDM D15Z1 which you apparently replaced. Count the teeth!!! The correct Honda PN for this belt is 14400-P08-004 with the additional marking on the belt of 103RU24.

As to the correct timing belt installation procedure... follow Helms (pg. 6-62) for the D15Z1... use the two "delta" (triangle) marks on the back cover with the TDC marks on the cam pulley. Then install and adjust belt as usual.

As to the ignition timing issue... once again follow Helms (pg. 23-97) for the D15Z1/D16Z6 which is essentially the same... 16 degrees BTDC @ 600/650 RPM respectively... which is the RED (center of the three together) mark on the crank pulley. Don't forget to short the service check connector before making any adjustment. Another thing you can do is look very closely at the top "ear" on the distributor assuming you are using the one that came with the D15B... you should be able to see an "imprint mark" from the washer behind the bolt where it was in it's former life in Japan. This is what I did initially for start up. Then when I got around to fine tuning with a timing light etc., it was spot on!!!

Another thing... I had an initial concern about timing and octane, given the JDM D15B has higher compression than similar USDM motors. I systematically tested the three basic grades of gasoline and am presently using 87 @ 16 degrees BTDC with no ill effect. As a matter of fact it's running GREAT!!! I just got back from a 1200 mile round trip to Chicago... she never missed a lick... had about a two hour stretch with the cruise set at 4K RPM/91 MPH (Si tranny)... still got 36.7 MPG out of that tank!!!

Hope this helps...

JD :burnout:

[/QUOTE]
I recently did this same swap (JDM D15B) into a '92Si... replacing the original D16Z6 that had developed a rattle. Anyway... sounds like you have the correct belt for the JDM D15B... must have 103 teeth... same as the USDM D15Z1 which you apparently replaced. Count the teeth!!! The correct Honda PN for this belt is 14400-P08-004 with the additional marking on the belt of 103RU24.

As to the correct timing belt installation procedure... follow Helms (pg. 6-62) for the D15Z1... use the two "delta" (triangle) marks on the back cover with the TDC marks on the cam pulley. Then install and adjust belt as usual.

As to the ignition timing issue... once again follow Helms (pg. 23-97) for the D15Z1/D16Z6 which is essentially the same... 16 degrees BTDC @ 600/650 RPM respectively... which is the RED (center of the three together) mark on the crank pulley. Don't forget to short the service check connector before making any adjustment. Another thing you can do is look very closely at the top "ear" on the distributor assuming you are using the one that came with the D15B... you should be able to see an "imprint mark" from the washer behind the bolt where it was in it's former life in Japan. This is what I did initially for start up. Then when I got around to fine tuning with a timing light etc., it was spot on!!!

Another thing... I had an initial concern about timing and octane, given the JDM D15B has higher compression than similar USDM motors. I systematically tested the three basic grades of gasoline and am presently using 87 @ 16 degrees BTDC with no ill effect. As a matter of fact it's running GREAT!!! I just got back from a 1200 mile round trip to Chicago... she never missed a lick... had about a two hour stretch with the cruise set at 4K RPM/91 MPH (Si tranny)... still got 36.7 MPG out of that tank!!!

Hope this helps...

JD :burnout:[/QUOTE]
thankx, i had to take my honda fac manual to the shop cuz the tech was confused by the timing belt book they had & my jdm motor. the lack of a _ after the D15B confuzzled them. thats how i told them to set the timing since its a 1.5Lvtec just like the VX. I had made a reference scratch on the dizzy & adjoining head part. But as far as the crankshaft... you say the RED mark thru that lil V thing you look down on the drivers side of the block? I thought it was the WHITE mark :eek: . Well after i told them how i wanted the timing set, they pulled their heads out and it runs fine. Fine until i used some TB cleaner... now my freaking CEL is a o2 (1) :blink: . I'll have to recheck my connections on the o2. Its extended from the plug because im using the stock VX header till i find a Si/Ex A-pipe or bottom 1/2 to bolt up to my jdm piece. Thanks for the indepth info !!! :thumbsup:

Back