TPS and o2 issues...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CasualEF'er

Hey everyone. I've got a 1990 civic hatch with a D15B1 engine, swapped out the 4 speed for the DX 5spd, installed a rebuilt D15B2 head, a J2 header, new timing belt, and a few months back did the MPFI swap with obd2 injectors. (No resister) My pm6 ecu came from eBay, and overall works great. Since the header and MPFI swap though, I have had a TPS code (and replaced it twice, to no avail) and have quadruple checked that it is reading correct voltage (which it is, .5V-4.5V). Also, about 50%-75% throttle, the ecu squeals like crazy (the same way an old tv does when it won't turn on)

As for the o2 sensor, it too has been replaced twice. Once before the swap, and once after. The J2 header moves the sensor from #2 runner to the collector, so I also tried the common CEL eliminator from BLOX racing, and made no difference.

If I really step on it and then slow down from around 40-50 with engine braking when it's cold, it will trip into closed loop and run fine. Otherwise, it runs kinda skippy. Especially if the weather is below 65. This thing has really got me stumped...

Might be wise to run a chipped P06 or P28 with your base map (or something very similar) and get a jumper harness. You call some Honda/Acura dismantlers/recyclers and those Si ECU's are out there but, depending on your location, it could be tough.

The noise you described has never happened to me. Check wiring versus Internet steps for MPFI conversion.

I know nothing about OBD2 injectors with everything else (ECU mostly) being OBD0. But I'd run Si OBD0 injectors only. Maybe my lack of knowledge? But I'd change them out and wire it all back to OBD0

the difference is that the obd2 injectors are higher resistance so they don't require a resistor. And the ecu has squealed since the day I put it in. All wiring has been checked and re checked and checked again. I know all the electronics on the engine are good as I have tested them all with a meter and all checked out as normal.

The squealing from the ecu makes me think it has a bad capacitor, as that is what causes most electronics to make any such noise. That would also explain my lack of power below 4200 rpm, and only squealing between 50-75% throttle. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

As long as you are confident in the wiring, I'd just get another Si ECU. Is there a tuning shop around you? They could be a good way to source another ECU to try (and possibly buy)...but they may be jerks and/or can't get you one to try.

sorry for the long wait, been kinda busy and haven't been online much. still running the same computer as before. a used PM6 A01, and it still squeals, but worse, and runs more terribly than it used to. especially when the weather cools down. i live in SW Washington, and unfortunately, i have not been able to find a single reputable tuner within 100 miles that has, sells, or loans ECU's.

after more extensive searching into such ECU related noise and running issues, i have found absolutely NOTHING for the EF, but the next gen EG P28 shows a LOT of results for " 'common' ECU burnouts" all involving capacitors, squeaking, and running like crap but still running. been collecting parts for a D16Z6 VTEC mini-me. would like to build a new harness. have everything except pins, wire, and ECU.

to avoid the ECU issues ive had with my used PM6, i'm planning on buying a certified Re-Man P28 A01 or A02 Vtec ECU. once finished i will thuroughly inspect the PM6 for burned/shorted caps and resistors and refurbish the board.

Back