Tire Pressure

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
i run around 30-32 psi on the street.. what is a good pressure for the track??

sorry. i meant a 1/4 mile strip.

i've heard people go as low as 22 psi, but that seems a bit low for me... 26 sounds nice. :woo:

yeah, just make sure you inflate it back for the drive home...driving on 26 psi feels so weird, kinda like riding on air cushions. ;) , and my gearbox felt kind of mushy...really a bizarre feeling :p

when i run at the track i run at 15-18lbs on street tires [falken azeni's in my case]... i launch around 6000rpm at the track also... but i also have more torque than you pills [at least i think i do since i have ls/vtec]

in your case pills i would run about 18lbs then try launching at different RPMs to see any improvement's in time or traction

i forgot to add when on slicks i run at 13lbs and launch at 8000RPM

let me add also that i run bridestone s-03 pole positions on my rota slipstreams 11.5 lbs when i'm at the track..

2 litre eg.. i think i will try to go 26, then drop it to 18 perhaps.. try 5 K, 5.5 k , 6k etc.

i know my cousin ran 20-22psi on his golf when we went to the track...felt pretty damn good if you ask me...don't know what tires he was running tho

You can go as low as you want to. You will get more traction, but the tires will have more drag (friction between the tire and the street), wich will make you go slower. :wacko:

The bottom line is that you need to fins the perfect balance between acceleration (good traction: low psi) and speed (low friction: high psi).

It´s pretty tricky.... that´s why some of us engineers work on the motorsports industry!!

By the way, no. I am not one of those lucky bastards working for Honda. :worthy:

Originally posted by msb@Apr 9 2003, 11:50 PM
You can go as low as you want to. You will get more traction, but the tires will have more drag (friction between the tire and the street), wich will make you go slower. :wacko:

The bottom line is that you need to fins the perfect balance between acceleration (good traction: low psi) and speed (low friction: high psi).

It´s pretty tricky.... that´s why some of us engineers work on the motorsports industry!!

By the way, no. I am not one of those lucky bastards working for Honda. :worthy:

That's not always correct... on street tires, the carcass construction will cause the tread to cup at low tire pressures, so if you go too low, you'll start to lose your contact patch right where you need it- in the center of the tread. You do have to find that sweet spot, but only dedicated slicks can "go as low as you want". You really have to watch out when you're deflating your street tires for the strip.

Back