To California and back

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Well, I'm taking a road-trip. We're probably going to be taking 70 all the way to 15, then 15 all the way to LA. We're going to head up to HPD's CA headquarters, play around in LA, on the beach, and probably hit PCH for a couple hours.

I started out at 0700 this morning, took a nice easy drive with the lady, and we're in Indiana right now. ~11 hrs with a stop outside of Columbus at a toy-store.

Tomorrow's plan is to get most of the way through Kansas, if not all the way.

If you've never done it, I recommend taking the PCH all the way up from LA to Monterey or so. It is unreal.

If you've never done it, I recommend taking the PCH all the way up from LA to Monterey or so. It is unreal.
Yea, that drive would be a good one to do. Or you could head south down here to SD, not anywhere as near of a nice drive as LA to Monterey though.

Have fun. In Indy yet? If not, depending on the time you might want to make the trip around I465 instead of trying to go through downtown on 70.

Kansas City should be about 9-10 hours from Indy, so unless you really enjoy driving I doubt you'll get through Kansas today.

well the beaches out here have been kind of cold lately but depending when you get here it might warm up. but if you really want to hit up the beaches id suggest you go to Venice beach. get in the water there and when you are done you could walk down the boardwalk to Santa Monica (its within walking distance) youll see a lot of cool things and see a lot of cool people on the boardwalk (just stay away from the black guys trying to sell you their CDs cuz once they get you they wont let you leave till you buy one lol) but once you get to Santa Monica head down to the pier and you and your lady friend can spend some time together at the fair/carnival thing (you cant miss it there's a big ass Ferris wheel lol) but trust me you'll have a good time

We're in Goodland, KS right now. I think it's 17 miles from the KS/CO border. I probably could have gone a bit further tonight, but it was a good stopping point.

I think we saw three cops in all of Kansas. We saw at least four cops on one traffic stop in Indiana. Kansas sucks, it doesn't matter if you're going 110mph, it doesn't go by any faster, and you still don't close on anyone else on the highway.

Have fun. In Indy yet? If not, depending on the time you might want to make the trip around I465 instead of trying to go through downtown on 70.

Kansas City should be about 9-10 hours from Indy, so unless you really enjoy driving I doubt you'll get through Kansas today.

We missed traffic in all the cities. Both Kansas City and Indy were almost no traffic.

I think I drove something like 13 hours today, and honestly I'm not that tired.

I don't even remember if we drove through Kansas...no we didn't. We went through Nebraska...I don't know which is worse.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I highly recommend taking your time through Utah. I know that might sound weird but it is soooo fucking awesome. Driving through the San Rafael Swell is unreal. It is like the Grand Canyon x 1000000000. And wait til you go through this scary ass canyon as you cross briefly through the northwest corner of Arizona right before you get into Nevada. It is hot shit.

:ditto:
I highly recommend taking your time through Utah. I know that might sound weird but it is soooo fucking awesome. Driving through the San Rafael Swell is unreal. It is like the Grand Canyon x 1000000000. And wait til you go through this scary ass canyon as you cross briefly through the northwest corner of Arizona right before you get into Nevada. It is hot shit.

:driver2:
This part of utah is spectacular!!

I suggest if you have time, to take a quick detour and checkout the hoover dam. they're building a new bridge, and will start bypassing the dam end of this year. If you hit vegas in the night, you'll be able to see the glow for about 100 miles out or so.

Definately checkout some of the redwoods while in Cali. They're cool to look at, but to get out, and actually take some time to stand by them is awesome.

70 through colorado is mostly downhill westbound. We take the 80 or 40 back eastbound. Usually the 40 with a detour through the grand canyon. The 80 if you can hit Bonneville at the right time. The 40 shows a bit different side of Arizona/new mexico than you'd think. and it's nice to see something other than the back side of all the signs you saw on the way there.

be sure to fuel up through western co, and through utah, it can be few and far between!!

If you're coming up PCH all the way up to Monterey (Agreed, best drive ever. Especially between San Simeon and Big Sur). Come on up to SF and help me finish my race car. :D

I have no idea where I drove today. Just longandfuckingboringasfuck.

Got into Utah, we're in Cedar City. Took 70 for most of the day, then 15 south.

I'm totally not here or there mentally.

Google Maps says 7.5 hours tomorrow. We're 1.5h from Vegas right now.

Also, after driving through the rocky mountains, I've decided that the fit needs a supercharger. Thread to follow in a couple months.

Back