tranny slips

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey, whenever the weather is warm, or my car has been running for an excessive amount of time....my tranny or clutch is slipping. I can shift fine, but my RMPs will go up, and my car will hardly move. It'll take some time to get goin (and a lot of RMPs), but once it does...she still slips. I'm going to get some Honda MTF today after school and check the levels. My friend told me if there is low fluid, the gears wont catch.
We were thinking that the clutch may be going out, but why is the weather/temp affecting it? When its cold out...my tranny and clutch will work perfect, i can squeel out with giving it little gas (i have new tires). And if it was the clutch going out,..won't it be slipping all the time, instead of just when its warm?

no, clutches can slip when they're warm...

think about how heat acts on metals...

can you adjust your clutch anymore?

MTF is a waste of your time...
only auto trannies "slip" when low on fluid...
if your trans is low it'll heat up and lock up, nothing inside to "slip" except the clutch

:werd:

the only clutch in a manual transmission is the one you control with your left foot

pull the trans and check the clutch disc, you'll know right away if that's the problem, which I'd bet is the problem

damn...that is going to be $300 to get installed by a shop here ( i already bought a new clutch kit). I'm low on money, and planning a trip with my car. I was hoping it'd be the MTF. Thanks for your help.

yea, i dunno about a trip, sounds like its pretty bad as is... the last thing you need is a tow bill from out of town...

changing a clutch is not that hard to do really...
we could all prob give you pointers and walk you through the process...

yeah it's a relatively simple process, but it's time consuming and can be a pain in the balls since the motor is in the car

honestly though, for $300 I would just do it myself- there really isn't much to screw up, as long as you take your time

is there a write up or anything on this? I've tried to pull the tranny already, but it was a paint in the ass to remove the hub to take off my axles, so i gave up. My friend has a shit load of tools..so maybe i'll try again.
BTW. I drove it again today and it was perfect, i dont know how come it works when its cold.

it's just the way the friction material on the clutch disc and flywheel work together

think about brakes on a car, because it's the same principle- When your brakes are cold, assuming you've got stock pads, they work the best- A car with hot brakes will often experience fade, similar to what you're feeling with the clutch

it has to do with the properties of the friction material, but that's beyond the scope of this dicussion

you're gonna have to replace the clutch- The best place to find information and step by step instructions is in the service manual for your car, or for whatever car the motor is out of assuming you've done a swap

Back