Transimission install " The Bitch Pin"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
So anyone have any tips on how to remove "The Bith Pin" the pin that connects the shift linkage to the transmission ??

take a punch or big philips head and put it to the end of the pin and hit it out with a hammer,is the end of the pin sticking out at all??if so use a punch that wont go into the middle of the pin,becaus then you will mushroom the tip and have to drill it out

o and instead of replacing the pin,use a bolt and nut

just get a hammer and one of those pin punch tools.

like here...
44554.jpg

When i had to remove mine i also read that using a punch was the best way to go, however i didn't have one, and also i didn't feel comfortable smacking the shit out of the trans selector rod with a hammer. i invisioned the possibility of bending it enough to possibly cause shifting issues, or maybe even crack something. That being said i got creative and started searching my tool drawers. I used a small c-clamp and placed it around the bitch pin. then on one side use a socket that is deep enough to contain the entire wrist pin once its pushed out. on the other side use a square drill bit piece (or another bit that the business end fits within the pin). setup should look like this.

bitchpinremovalgw4.jpg

then start turning it by hand till you cant twist anymore. grab some vice grips and use them to turn the handle on the vice. slowly the pin will start to push out and eventually fall out into the socket. all without bashing on things with a hammer :)

Also i don't know if replacing the bitch pin with a nut and bolt is such a good idea. Aside from the fact that it could fall out and the havoc that might cause, a nut and bolt is not likely going to be a strong enough solid connecter between the linkage and gear selector. the point of the pin is to make an extremely rigid connection that has absolutely zero play. a nut and bolt is not likely going to accomplish this.

Ive never had a problem with getting it out, you just have to be sure the punch you use is the same size as the pin.

When i had to remove mine i also read that using a punch was the best way to go, however i didn't have one, and also i didn't feel comfortable smacking the shit out of the trans selector rod with a hammer. i invisioned the possibility of bending it enough to possibly cause shifting issues, or maybe even crack something. That being said i got creative and started searching my tool drawers. I used a small c-clamp and placed it around the bitch pin. then on one side use a socket that is deep enough to contain the entire wrist pin once its pushed out. on the other side use a square drill bit piece (or another bit that the business end fits within the pin). setup should look like this.

bitchpinremovalgw4.jpg

then start turning it by hand till you cant twist anymore. grab some vice grips and use them to turn the handle on the vice. slowly the pin will start to push out and eventually fall out into the socket. all without bashing on things with a hammer :)

Also i don't know if replacing the bitch pin with a nut and bolt is such a good idea. Aside from the fact that it could fall out and the havoc that might cause, a nut and bolt is not likely going to be a strong enough solid connecter between the linkage and gear selector. the point of the pin is to make an extremely rigid connection that has absolutely zero play. a nut and bolt is not likely going to accomplish this.

thats usin your noggin! i totally agree with you on the possibility of bending the selector shaft..that would suck ass. i just installed one in my trans and out or in i hate dickin with it lol.. but the c clamp method is indeed a sure fire way not to damage the shaft for sure ^_^

I had problems with the clamp method because the socket kept slipping off. I've stuck with hammer and punch; if that doesn't work, add heat to the mix.

Hammer & punch usually works. I've tried the clamp method with no success. Just lift the car high enough so you can get enough leverage.
DO NOT put a nut & bolt in there once you get it out... Your shifter will feel sloppy. And do yourself a huge favor. Go to the Honda dealer and spend $4 on a new bitch pin. Try to avoid using the old one.

a 10mm bolt woks just fine as a replacement pin,my boy has a type-r EF that he races,and he slams gears,hasnt had a problem yet

There's a difference between slop and "working". :p

I just went to Lowes and got a spring pin that would fit, and replaced it ASAP..

I used the ac mounting bolt to get mine out, worked like a charm

Back