transmission: b20 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

timEspeed

I've Been thinking of droppin' a b20vtec into my '91 civic h/b. Whats the best transmission to use? b16a with LSD, GSR, or ITR? is transmission even nessesary? Also, for a n/a application does the blosk need to be sleeved?
thanx

A transmission is necessary.... otherwise you'll have an engine that's not hooked up to anything that makes your car move!

You need a cable clutch transmission for your 91 Civic, so you don't want to use an ITR... they all have hydraulic clutches. For the best acceleration, you'll want to get a USDM 92-93 Integra GSR transmission, or you could try to get the Integra XSi/RSi transmission from a JDM Integra. The 92-93 have slightly better gearing than the 90-91. Any other B series cable clutch will work too, but you'll want to stick to the cable series.

For N/A applications, you do NOT need to resleeve the block. Just make sure that you put the engine together correcly and that all of your tolerances are in check- and don't use cheap parts. For boost, you'll be fine on the stock sleeve too- just don't boost too much.

:D

No shit transnission is necessary, what imeant was do ineed a new one or can I use the staock tran. anyway....
Where can I find an Integra GSR tranny? The junkyards around here don't have much selection in terms of imports

For N/A applications, you do NOT need to resleeve the block.
Even with high compression pistons (11.5-1)??

thanx

Originally posted by timEspeed+?-->
timEspeed @ ?) said:
No shit transnission is necessary, what imeant was do ineed a new one or can I use the staock tran. anyway....
Where can I find an Integra GSR tranny? The junkyards around here don't have much selection in terms of imports

Sorry man- I was pretty tired. You can't use the stock B20 transmission because it's AWD... you need a FWD setup. If you can't find a GSR tranny locally, try some of the engine resellers that we have linked in the reference section. I know that Intercrew can scare you up a GSR transmission. 214-575-6288

,timEspeed,?

Even with high compression pistons (11.5-1)??

Nope. Just build it with the right parts (ARP bolts/studs), good pistons, and good rods (I like Eagle), and you'll be fine. I've been running 12.6:1 on the stock sleeve for the last 42k miles and I haven't had any issues.

12.6:1?? what octane gas do you run? I was checkin out that NOS octane booster, I don't want race gas cause It'll be daily driven......

Alright, another question...... why do I need axels? distributor?

thanx again......

93 octane, no boosters. I used the NOS "off road" octane booster with 91 octane back in Oklahoma and it was ok most of the time.

Axles- just get the ones to match yout transmission... which would be GSR axles. Distributor- stock unit is just fine. Match it up with your OBD revision.

I know you need the one that matches the tranny, I was just wondering why they're needed. For some reason I believe it's because the stock will snap? If its just a simple 'tranny to axel' fitment problem, than why aren't conversions fabricated?

P.s. Intercrew's website isn't working, could your link be wrong?

thanx

D series engines uses two shafts- unequal length. B series uses three shafts- one on passenger side, intermediate and halfshaft on driver's side. The halfshafts are equal (or very close to the same) length, so you get less torque steer on acceleration.

It is basically a simple "axle to tranny" fitment problem- and nobody makes conversion kits because there's no need for one. Just get the axles for your transmission, and everything will work just fine... unless you're swapping into the 4G Civic STD.

I went to your b20 swap site... I just wanted to know how much it cost you and if you've done anything recently (since the page was made) like proper tuning, cams, etc, i.e.: have you hit 200 whp yet?

PM me next time if I don't get back to the thread... sometimes I miss them.

No major engine changes since that page was made, so no power increases. I'm moving to Dallas, so I'll be tuning more when I get there. I have a pair of Skunk2 cam gears that I'm sure would free up some power, and I think my rings are shot- so replacing rings would get some power back, and so would tuning with cam gears. My headwork will be done once I'm in Dallas, so I expect to go WAY beyond 200whp.

Cool~
over 200, or WAY over 200 whp in a street-driven honda is fu*kin awesome. The way I see it, A trans Am or Z28 is no more than 350 hp and ways twice as much as a civic coupe and the like. So half of the weight with more than half the horse means honda beats muscle car. No wonder I sold my '85 TA for a civic hatch!!

so how much $$$ have you put into the engine from the start? What I see listed is b20 block, b16 head, pistons, rods, injectors, ECU, ITR tranny with LSD, mounts. Whats this VTEC radiator do, how's it work?
thanx again.......

Cool~
over 200, or WAY over 200 whp in a street-driven honda is fu*kin awesome. The way I see it, A trans Am or Z28 is no more than 350 hp and ways twice as much as a civic coupe and the like. So half of the weight with more than half the horse means honda beats muscle car. No wonder I sold my '85 TA for a civic hatch!!

Nah, more is better. I'm at 185whp now, and it's not quite enough to keep up with a C5 Corvette (yesterday)... I need more.

Half the weight with more than half the power doesn't really mean much- you have to look at torque figures, gearing, how the power curve looks, etc. A Civic with 200whp on a B block will most likely cream a stock Z20 or Trans Am though.

:lol:

so how much $$$ have you put into the engine from the start? What I see listed is b20 block, b16 head, pistons, rods, injectors, ECU, ITR tranny with LSD, mounts. Whats this VTEC radiator do, how's it work?
thanx again.......

Never ask any serious modder that- it's almost like asking a woman how old she is.

"Enough" but "not done yet" is the answer you'll get from me, and quite a few other people around here. I'll tell you this- my swap installed as a "basic package" was $6000, and that doesn't include some of the stuff that's listed on my page right now. There's much more being added on come January, but that's uh... partly because of stupid stuff I did (yesterday).

The del Sol VTEC radiator gives you the cooling capacity of the Integra radiator without taking up all the space. It's a half-width double thickness radiator with the same capacity as the single thickness Integra radiator, so it cools your engine/coolant as well as the Integra unit without you having to fabricate new mounts. Make sense? The Integra radiator goes all the way across the front end, while the del Sol and stock Civic units only cover half the width....

Back