troopers being dicks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I finally finished my crx this winter. I put in a roll cage, stripped the interior, made a sheetmetal dash, put in a gsr motor, put in a haltech e6x, got it painted etc... its been a 3 year project working on in weekends when I'm in town from college. I went to the bmv a little while ago and they didn't transfer my clear texas title because I didn't have the vin plaque on the dash (and I threw away the old one, I'm an idiot I know).
So, I went to the state patrol to make a new one. Well, first of all the state patrol really didn't like my car at all since of the cage and no interior. Thry looked at the motor and obviosly started asking questions about it. like "where did you get that motor?", obviously I answered that the motor was imported from japan, and the guy said "don't bullshit with me". I showed him the reciepts from hmotorsonline and then proceeded to kick me out of the garage and told me it'll be a little while while I inspect the car. I definitely knew things weren't going well at that point...
He comes back and tells me he'll have to talk to the seargent about my situation since its up to him if I can get a title. The reason he gave me was that I only had one vin number (the one on the dash) since the car had been painted and the shop had removed the manufacturing plaque as well(the one on the door jam).
This was mid-march and I just recently got some information to how I can get the car titled from that damn trooper.... he said that since I had a different motor and tranny, that I need the vin numbers from the cars they came from to verify they arent' stolen, then I can get a title. I was like how am I suppose to get those? He then promptly told me to talk to the seargent... and I've been calling everyday for 2 weeks leaving messages on the answering machine. I tried to explain to that trooper that these motors are from japan, I had them imported and that I can't get the vins... again he said talk to the seargent....
So... I'm screwed. I have NO IDEA how to get the vins of the cars that the motor and tranny came from. I called acura.com, I also emailed honda motor manufacturing, I've sent numberous emails and I haven't gotten anywhere.
I'd really REALLY appreciate any info on how to get the vin numbers if anyone knows how to get them from just the serial numbers on the tranny and motor. Shit, I'd paypal someone $50 if they can help me legitimately get the vin numbers.
I'd like to get this car on the roads this summer. And if I have to swap in a junkyard d-series motor or a ls motor/tranny just so they'd be happy it would still be until the end of summer before I can even get on the road legally.... If anyone has any help there's 50 bucks in it for you.... :worthy:

wow that sucks. have you talked to hmotors to see if they can help with finding a vin off the car that the motor came from

The motors are usually cut in Japan, and no way you can get the VINs, it's just not possible unless they pulled it from a clip here. Honda CAN trace them from the motor serial, but will not, I have asked. In extreme circumstances under the request from law enforcement I believe is the only way they will do it. You could try getting by with say gicing the VIN from a JDM clip[ that HMO has on hand, but that would be a little risky considering that the cops can get the real numbers, but probably won't.

well thast just a shitty situation. Did you also throw the Door Jamb plaque away? Any idea where the original dash is? I'd go trying to find that shit.

stuff is definitely gone... nowhere to be found. I guess maybe my last choice is getting a d series from a junkyard so I can get that damn vin plaque

I am not sure about CRX's but on newer hondas, they have a vin on the fire wall. As for the engine, your basicly screwed there. What engine is it (exact code. B16a or is it like a b16a2 ect) If it is a true JDM engine, then there is no US vin number. You have papers on the engine, I don't see why they are giving you a problem

The car is fine.... I have the vin on the firewall of course. The issue is that for me to get the title transferred to ohio I need the vin plaque on the dash. To get one of those I need to show proof that the motor and tranny isn't stolen. Hence I need to give them the vin numbers of the cars that the motor and tranny came out of.

BTW, I have a jdm gsr motor and s1 tranny. I think they did run the serial numbers of the motor and tranny, found that the vin numbers for the cars they came out of are one character short(since jdm stuff is one character short on the vins) and hence are questioning if they're legal or not.

ive spent minutes upon minute evaluating your situation at my little desk, and after countless seconds and numorous minutes ive analyzed your situation...

POLICE HATE IMPORTS, THUS POLICE ARE COCKS

its very complicated.

good luck on your situation!

Professor HollowJDM

i would have to say throw a stock setup back in the car to get the title and for shits and giggles see if a trophy place can make the vin just go to the junk yard and grab a example vin on for how they should make it. but i do agree i have to go stock in my hatch because they cant classify a dohc zc to a certain year. so the smog refferee said 5000 and a trip to sacromento. so out with the dohc and in with the a6. but i wish you luck bro

lance

yea.... I'm also kinda pissed I"ll have to hack up the wiring harness that I made for the stand alone...

Go back with the papers from HMO, if they don't take them, call Steve, and see if he can get you an official form, maybe in the form of a notarized sworn statement. At a certian point, they can't deny you just to be dicks, or you will have legal recourse. Of course that is if the only problem is that they don't have verification of whether or not the motor is stole. If your car is falling outside of DOT specifications, than they can be cocks all day.

Originally posted by Dark91zc@Jun 2 2005, 08:35 PM
i would have to say throw a stock setup back in the car to get the title and for shits and giggles see if a trophy place can make the vin just go to the junk yard and grab a example vin on for how they should make it. but i do agree i have to go stock in my hatch because they cant classify a dohc zc to a certain year. so the smog refferee said 5000 and a trip to sacromento. so out with the dohc and in with the a6. but i wish you luck bro

lance
[post=507082]Quoted post[/post]​

so what did u do with the ZC?

What State do you live in?

In Michigan when I bought the del sol it was an out of state Purchase (PA). I went tot he Sec of State and they issued me a new title. No inspection, no hassles just a new title.

Is the title in your name already? Am I presuming correctly that the Troopers must sign off on a vehicle ispection before the title will transfer.

I would consider going to the Sec of State and speaking with someone there. Or even finding a freind that knows a trooper or go to a different post. You pissed off the wrong guy. What about making an appointment with the post commander and explain that the vin numbers are different in japan (with documentation of that). Then explain the situation very nicely.....

The phone is a easy way to be ignored. If the situation becomes uglier. You might ask for the Written regulations on vehicle title transfer and start some crap that you are being singled out. That can backfire so be careful and positive of all statements.

Another idea would be to call the attorney general and speak to that office and gain information.

Edit: What ever you do, do not lie. That would lead to legal problems. False statements to the cops is a no-no.

Where at in ohio did you move to? Your car sounds sweet, and id like to check it out. (fellow ohioan)

Maybe just order a VIN plate off of ebay, lol. i dont see how they can cross referance one from japan.

Also, what engine did you get? is it USDM or JDM specific?

Back