Trouble starting!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Steeewart

Okay, this isn't concerning a Honda, but its a general tech/maintenance question, and everyone here seems extremely knowledgable and nice enough to help me out. :D
I have a 96 Sentra, 1.6L DOHC.
Recently its been having trouble starting. The motor turn over but in order to get it to start I have to either floor the gas pedal, or sometimes pump it a lot.
Even when it I get it started, it sounds like the RPMs are going up and down and the idle isnt consistent unless I rev the crap out of it. After it starts and goes for a minute it's fine.
I was told it might be the throttle body, but I check it out and it's fine.
I was also told it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter, or maybe the fuel injectors are clogged? Does any of this sound right?
I'd like to know if it is definitely NOT something so I can narrow down the problem as much as possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know its not a Honda but I'm thinking its a general enough problem that the make shouldn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Only happens when engine is cold, by the way.
Thanks!

Originally posted by Steeewart@Oct 25 2004, 04:58 PM
Okay, this isn't concerning a Honda, but its a general tech/maintenance question, and everyone here seems extremely knowledgable and nice enough to help me out. :D
I have a 96 Sentra, 1.6L DOHC.
Recently its been having trouble starting. The motor turn over but in order to get it to start I have to either floor the gas pedal, or sometimes pump it a lot.
Even when it I get it started, it sounds like the RPMs are going up and down and the idle isnt consistent unless I rev the crap out of it. After it starts and goes for a minute it's fine.
I was told it might be the throttle body, but I check it out and it's fine.
I was also told it might be the fuel pump or fuel filter, or maybe the fuel injectors are clogged? Does any of this sound right?
I'd like to know if it is definitely NOT something so I can narrow down the problem as much as possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know its not a Honda but I'm thinking its a general enough problem that the make shouldn't matter.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Only happens when engine is cold, by the way.
Thanks!
[post=407264]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry i just had to ask, do you even own a honda? if not then why the hell are you in a honda forum asking a questin about a nissan? not to be rude its just confusing

[/quote]

sorry i just had to ask, do you even own a honda? if not then why the hell are you in a honda forum asking a questin about a nissan? not to be rude its just confusing
[post=407282]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

I understand, that's a perfectly reasonable question.
I've just been looking around at a few honda forums to learn a thing or two before I decide which car to buy. So the answer to your question would be no, I don't own a Honda at the moment. But I like them a lot. :D

[post=407282]Quoted post[/post]​

I understand, that's a perfectly reasonable question.
I've just been looking around at a few honda forums to learn a thing or two before I decide which car to buy. So the answer to your question would be no, I don't own a Honda at the moment. But I like them a lot. :D
[post=407284]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

:worthy:

in the future- nissantech.com is our sister site i also run.

for now, sounds like an o2 heater problem. the car doesn't know wtf to do when its cold

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 26 2004, 10:32 AM
in the future- nissantech.com is our sister site i also run.

for now, sounds like an o2 heater problem. the car doesn't know wtf to do when its cold
[post=407612]Quoted post[/post]​

Thank you SO much!
You are the best!

Back