tuning a b20 with a safc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well as it says here is my setup. im runing a b20b and a ls ecu i also have a set of accel 290s my only main cuestion is what type of af/r should i be looking to go for i know that i want it to be about 11.5 with nitrous but what about just regular driving i have a zetronics wideband and t does do data loging rpm/load/afr any help would be great

thanks

For regular driving you can stay in the low 15s for ratio- up above 50% throttle and in the upper revs is where you need to start looking at getting your fueling into the rich area.

idel is fine in the 16's... but i wouldn't aim for the 15's even at part throttle... but what do i know... i've only tuned 1 car. lol

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 13 2005, 02:14 PM-->
idel is fine in the 16's... but i wouldn't aim for the 15's even at part throttle... but what do i know... i've only tuned 1 car. lol
[post=525576]Quoted post[/post]​

Part throttle is fine in the 15s- no big deal at all.

97hatch
@Jul 13 2005, 03:51 PM
lol so what numbers should i be looking for at 50%+
[post=525667]Quoted post[/post]​

Slowly ramp your a/f ratio numbers down from stoichiometric through to mid 12s at full throttle. Make it a smooth transition. After you're done tuning without nitrous, turn on the juice and make sure you're able to run just below 12:1.

ok, to tune with an safc do you need a wideband, I understand it's going to be a more acurate tune, but do you need a wideband. it is mandatory.

one more question, could you say... borrow someones wideband, tune with it then uninstall it?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jul 14 2005, 04:33 PM
ok, to tune with an safc do you need a wideband, I understand it's going to be a more acurate tune, but do you need a wideband. it is mandatory.

one more question, could you say... borrow someones wideband, tune with it then uninstall it?
[post=526329]Quoted post[/post]​

For a good tune, yes, a wideband is mandatory, regardless of whether you have a SAFC or standalone.

And yes you can borrow someone's wide band, tune, then uninstall. I'd just go to the dyno though. I assume dyno's hookup a wideband when you pay for the dyno time. I have a wideband though, so I have the tools to effectively tune it without the dyno. But dyno is THE best way to tune.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM-->
brian11to1
@Jul 14 2005, 04:33 PM

For a good tune, yes, a wideband is mandatory, regardless of whether you have a SAFC or standalone.

And yes you can borrow someone's wide band, tune, then uninstall. I'd just go to the dyno though. I assume dyno's hookup a wideband when you pay for the dyno time. I have a wideband though, so I have the tools to effectively tune it without the dyno. But dyno is THE best way to tune.
[post=526343]Quoted post[/post]​

Interested in a road trip to Avondale, AZ? Food, Lodge... all that shit... help me out...

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM-->
brian11to1

MikeB - do you tune your own shit? If not, where do you go around here??? I'm always looking for good tuners. You live up by Sac right?

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Jul 14 2005, 08:50 PM-->
Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM
brian11to1

MikeB - do you tune your own shit? If not, where do you go around here??? I'm always looking for good tuners. You live up by Sac right?
[post=526433]Quoted post[/post]​

I live in San Luis Obispo. I am almost done with my build. 11.5:1 compression, pnp'd LS head, obd0. I'm going to be tuning with a socketed pm6 w/datalogging port, and an Innovate LM-1 WB, RTP with ostrich, tuning with Turboedit. I am just waiting for my pm6 to come back to me, it was throwing a solid CEL when I plugged it in, so I sent it back to be replaced. I'll let you know how my tuning goes. If it goes well, I might consider doing it for some others.

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jul 14 2005, 07:15 PM-->
Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jul 14 2005, 08:14 PM
brian11to1

Interested in a road trip to Avondale, AZ? Food, Lodge... all that shit... help me out...
[post=526388]Quoted post[/post]​

Only if you show me a good time... :p
But seriously, if I get my car together soon, I'll consider it. Got the whole rest of summer.

Back