Turbo-ing A D-series?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nealo

Would it be a good idea to just simply turbo my d16z6 (sohc vtec) engine in my hb? I know that i should build up my engine for this application and stuff. Would i simply be better off swapping in a b18b or possibly a b16 or is the turbo route the better way? The turbo route seems to cheaper and adds the same horses as a b-series or possibly more. Is there any particular turbo that you guys reccomend if i decide on the turbo? Help.

my friend runs an apex i turbo kit with intercooler and runs high 8's to very low 9's in the 1/8 mile track in his 95 ex civic w/ stock internals. it runs very close to my other friends 99 si with a jackson racing supercharger w/ aftercooler. its up to you, but i think turbos rock. you might want to consider the amount of miles on your engine and the amount of money you have to spend? probally didn't help a ton, but sometimes stories from personal experiences help you to think about things. good luck!!!
:D

Adding a turbo is more cost effective in the short term... you'll make more power with a good turbo setup on your D16Z6 than you would if you swapped your engine to a B block for the same amount of cash. You do limit yourself in terms of potential- but most people on this board really don't have the will or money to spend $3000-5000 on a swap and then another $4000 or more for a turbo setup on top of that swap. How much money do you have to spend, and how far do you want to go?

Example... a few of my friends made it up to 210-220whp with boosted D16Y8 engines and no internal modifications. One was on a Rev-Hard kit, and two were on intercooled Greddy kits. That 210-220whp translates up to about 245-260hp at the crank, which is WAY more than you'll get swapping in a B18C with intake/header/exhaust, and really about the same price. The guy who is in Miami ran a 14.0 quarter, intercooled Greddy kit and stock internals on his D16Y8. His total expenditure after the turbo install, including purchase and tuning- was right at $4000.

Also you should think about how much power and how fast you ultimatley want to go. If you jsut want to be a quick little street machine, able to run 13's and maybe even 12 if done properly, jsut build and turbo the stock d block. However if you want to be able to run with the best of em, and dont care abotu cash, then go for a swap.

Zee

Originally posted by koi_killa@Feb 14 2003, 02:07 PM
However if you want to be able to run with the best of em, and dont care abotu cash, then go for a swap.

Zee

This isn't true,I care very much about what money I have to spend and I went swap.You can get a swap fair priced,all you have to do is look.And no it wont be as fast as a turbo right of the back but,it is a reliable deal and can in the future be made even more powerful.

This isn't true,I care very much about what money I have to spend and I went swap.You can get a swap fair priced,all you have to do is look.And no it wont be as fast as a turbo right of the back but,it is a reliable deal and can in the future be made even more powerful.[/QUOTE]
:werd:

i was under the impression that stock d series rods would fail at about 220 hp to the crank.......guess i was wrong.....

Turbo Engines are HIGH mantinence. You will always be tweaking something here or there. Now, a B series will be more reliable over all and much easier to deal with when things go wrong. Since you already have the D series though, it might be work tuning. A turbo isnt cheap, I've heard that there are some good D series kits available and some comming out soon. If you plan on running this on an unmodified block just be careful how you boost. Make sure all your complementary systems are stong, a powerful engine is only as strong as its weakes link.

If you get a B series, dont let people tell you its just 3300 (using B18c1 as example). You dont NEED to get mounts, but you'll regret it later if you have an older car. You will need someone to install it(though its better experience to do it yourself, if you have a shop do it and something goes wrong, its their problem not yours and thats nice.), then you'll want to get all the bolt on's(most of which are useless if you later go turbo), and of course a good clutch. But you will be "quick" and have a very reliable and fun car to drive.

If you go turbo, there are many things you'll buy that are usable on different engines...like the turbo, some piping, intercooler, injectors, fuel system, ignistion, etc. If you later buy a B series swap, a lot of you stuff will transfer easily. In the mean time you will be faster than the Standard B series swap, most likely.

There is far more information and if you have any questions PM or AIM me as im finishing up my D sereis turbo and have worked with others on B series and various nissan projects(helps to have diversity when dealing with turbos.)
goodluck!!!! :)

Rob

Originally posted by koi_killa@Feb 15 2003, 09:26 AM
I did mean built so you wouldent be running stock internals.

And a swap does cost more than a turbo.

Zee

Swap is eh?

b16 sir 1 = 1150 to get it into a obd0 car = ~2000

b16 sir 2 = 2250 to get into an obd1 car ~2500-2700

turbo kit for z6 = 2000 (greddy)

Now you need to go buy

intercooler
bov
injectors
someway to tune it better then that hack shit fmu

Is it still cheaper? Nope. Its not cheaper then a swap.

A d-series is just as reliable as a b-series if its built right. Plus, if you blow up a b-series or need a part, you are fucked until you can find one. A d-series part can be found EVERYWHERE if you blow a tranny or something.

Calesta has some friends laying down 215-220 to the wheels with boosted d-series on STOCK internals and some running 230-250 with built internals and one is trying for the 300whp mark. Its as reliable as the tuning that is done.

If you turbo a d series motor the one thing you should replace is the rods. All d series stock rods are weak . As to the the turbo d or a swap its all personal preference, after all your the one laying all the money down, not us. But if you want opinion, i would go with the turbo d, not alot of people that i know have strong single cams. TUrbo will be higher maintenance buti n the long run if you know how to properly maintain a turbo then the turbo d series is the way to go. Plus if you do go b series later yuo just need to get a new turbo manifold and piping.

Back