Turbo N00b ----->

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Let me start off by saying, I dont know shit about turbos.

Now my question, just wondering if I bought a complete turbo setup, could I do the turbo for a weekend project? Or do I need something else, like professional help.

From the looks of it, it doesnt look that hard to install, but maybe their is something that I am missing. Let me know

for someone who hasn't done it before, it'll take longer than you think it will. don't forget to tap your oil pan before the install, if you decide to go ahead and do it. also if you decide to go for a custom turbo kit be sure to get lots of vaccum line cause you can never have enough of that stuff.

putting in a turbo kit is not a whole lot more difficult than installing a set of headers and an intake- Tapping the oil pan could be difficult, but if you can weld, you'll be in good shape-

also keep in mind whether the "kit" you get comes with all the parts you need, especially an intercooler...

and if the kit comes with e thicker head gasket then you're gonna need to pull the head, which would be easy sine you need to take exhaust and intake off anyway

werd
any more q's PM me

Do you have a certain kit in mind? if you are doing this yourself it will take more than a weekend, for the simple fact that potheads tend to take more "breaks". If you gather up a few buddies that know what they are doing and divide the tasks a weekend might be enough time.

LMFAO

hahahahhahahaa

thats the best reasoning i have heard in a while
god damn potheads :lol:

hatch anon, you're in NY aren't you?
i'd be more than willing to help you out...
fucking stoners
lol :)

Na bro, wrong coast.

Fresno CA.

But hey, when I get high, I usually try to fit it in my schedule, but it always pushes everything back at least a half hour. :p

Good responses, keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Apr 5 2004, 05:06 PM
But hey, when I get high, I usually try to fit it in my schedule, but it always pushes everything back at least a half hour. :p

Good responses, keep 'em coming! :thumbsup:

Well according to the grades on blackboard pot has pushed me about 2 months behind on these journals for a 3 credit class:ph34r:

Soo what kit are you looking at/ what engine? If your going burly your going to have to mess with wiring/injectors/internals/headgasket.

Well, I already got the GSR engine in my EK hatch.

Dont know what turbo to get. This guy I know said he could install it for me for like $3200-$3300. Is that good? It was the whole kit including intercooler/all sorts of shit. I think it was a turbonetics turbo. :shrug2:

I just need it for a daily driver. Just love the sound and I have only been in one boosted car and I fell in love ('91 300ZX).

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Apr 5 2004, 02:41 PM
This guy I know said he could install it for me for like $3200-$3300. Is that good? It was the whole kit including intercooler/all sorts of shit. I think it was a turbonetics turbo. :shrug2:

a turbonetics kit at the most is about $2800 depending if you upgrade the wastegate from deltagate to tial and some other things. that would mean he would be charging you $4-$500 for just the install. IMO, that's a lot, the most expensive I've ever heard a shop charging to install a turbo kit was $150.

I just thought of this but I believe that the greddy kit is the only one that is CARB legal. And I am also told they will not part out the kit. You might want to check out groupbuycenter.com for prices. and if you do infact go with the greddy kit the BOV needs to be welded into the piping.

Even though it has the CARB sticker, doesnt mean its accually going to pass smog. Thats why I was wondering if it would be possable to take trubo off a motor, then re-apply it after a week or so.

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Apr 5 2004, 04:25 PM
Even though it has the CARB sticker, doesnt mean its accually going to pass smog. Thats why I was wondering if it would be possable to take trubo off a motor, then re-apply it after a week or so.

you betcha. :D playa you could reinstall it as soon as you get back from gettin is smogged.

if you're in Cali, the greddy kit is your only choice-
for visual.
smog, it still needs to pass, but there's no reason why it shouldn't.

if your kit comes with all the components it shouldnt be too hard but if you want to do it in a weekend you really should have a lit garage plan a couple overnighters and hold off on the pot until you are done, also you should have a second "runner car" jsut in case all does not go according to plan (pull something that is shit and have to replace allthat JIC shit)

best of luck man

what if you have your block sleeved, forged pistons, and rods will that still pass emissions?

Back