Turbo ZC EF / Build Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ethan

VIP
OK I have been looking around for a while and i finally decided to go with a sohc zc swap into my 91 dx hatch from hmotorsonline.

I would also like to make my own turbo kit to help me reach my goal of about 200hp and be reliable.

How good would the stock sohc zc handle 200hp and what would be good to upgrade before going turbo?

I plan on tuning it myself. This will be my first build/ turbo build and first tune.

I have been researching but i would love to get some answers from some hs vets.

Thanks in advance!

Also the same info on the d16a6 would be great since i hear there about the same engine.

im not sure how the stock zc would handle turbo, it would probably be ok around 4 psi but if you want to bigger than that and run 17 and up i think you should build the engine up a little more.

maybe invest a couple hundred get maybe 9.1 wiseco pistons, eagle rods arp bolts and so on

I was honestly looking to start around 5psi and work my way up building it as needed with tune. Im not looking for a huge powerhouse just a little "get up n go" I have to floor it to get up hills right now.

yeah you can run the stock motor on around 5 psi but if you wanted to build from there id start with pistons keep the stock rods and maybe a bigger cam, not too big like a 272 because then all your compression goes out the door.

what turbo are you looking for?

Not sure yet still researching. Something small.

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

The stock ZC can handle 8 psi, safe and 10-12 psi risky. I would just get a T25 or T28 and do the junkyard turbo setup with the CRX Hf manifold. It will be less than $1400 for the swap, and at 8 psi you make 180 hp. That's enough to run under 13.8 quarter mile. If you get new pistons, and eagle rods and you'll be able to handle 300+ hp no problem, but it will cost over $1300, but well worth it. It's all up to you and how much you want to spend.

Thanks for the info. im ripping the engine out of my ef to swap engines with another better running d15. plus im doing a 5-speed conversion. im hoping to do the zc swap and boost this winter.

Sounds good. What 5-speed are you using? I would get a 1996-2000 Civic EX trans. I'm going to swap that into my crx with a ZC. It's a hydrolic, and the shift forks are made of steel, so they won't brake like the aluminum ones in the 88-91 civic, crx, or even the ZC transmission. You have to get a swap kit from Hasport for $200, but it's worth it, especially when you boost it. Good luck.

Sounds good. What 5-speed are you using? I would get a 1996-2000 Civic EX trans. I'm going to swap that into my crx with a ZC. It's a hydrolic, and the shift forks are made of steel, so they won't brake like the aluminum ones in the 88-91 civic, crx, or even the ZC transmission. You have to get a swap kit from Hasport for $200, but it's worth it, especially when you boost it. Good luck.

whats the other differences? longer/shorter ratios? Just wondering.

The gears are pretty much the same. A ZC tranny with the Si final drive is the best trans. you can get for OEM parts. It's mostly about strength. For what you want to do, stock bottom end and maybe 7psi, just get the Si transmission. The ZC is hard to find and expensive. You could get a higher aftermarket final drive, about $400. It will make acceleration amazing with the turbo. Just up to you and how much you want to spend. Good luck.

Back