Type R Head On A Gsr?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

i was wondering if u can put ITR cams in a gsr head...or do i need to put the whole ITR head?

while you're at it... look in the for sale forum... get the ctr cams that "colorpros" has for sale.

the ctr intake is slightly more aggressive

so whats the best cams for me to get for my gsr...i was thinking of getting itr but i just found an article by i think super street...and they put itr cam shafts in a gsr and the horse power actually decreased...so i was wondering what cams i should get...im building all motor gsr, with ls crank, probably ctr pistons...

Originally posted by 22crazy@Feb 5 2003, 05:30 PM
so whats the best cams for me to get for my gsr...i was thinking of getting itr but i just found an article by i think super street...and they put itr cam shafts in a gsr and the horse power actually decreased...so i was wondering what cams i should get...im building all motor gsr, with ls crank, probably ctr pistons...

depends on your budget / goals

i would spend up to maybe $2000-maybe $2500 total on my head. (cams, valves, springs, retainers) i plan to build an all motor sleeper, daily driver.

I got a great deal on my valvetrain from ALLJDM. My budget was smaller than yours for my head but you should be able to add Skunk2 cams to what I got for less than $2000. I got Skunk2 Valves, Springs, Retainers, and an Intake manifold from him. Great prices.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 5 2003, 06:05 PM
I got a great deal on my valvetrain from ALLJDM. My budget was smaller than yours for my head but you should be able to add Skunk2 cams to what I got for less than $2000. I got Skunk2 Valves, Springs, Retainers, and an Intake manifold from him. Great prices.

what cams will you be running?

I haven't installed everything yet, most of my engine is at the machine shop, what isn't there is in the mail. So I am not sure about a power gain, probably not much because I couldn't afford to buy new cams. I am still running the ITR cams.

thats cool you're still doing the valve train, that way when you can afford cams, it will be just a drop in affair.

That is what I though, plus I need new valves anyway. Some of my exhaust valves came a little bent. So I figuered that if I was changing valves I might as well wait until I could afford new springs/retainers as well. I can't wait until I can afford some Skunk2 Stage 2 cams.

how much would the whole skunk2 package cost? (camshafts, sprockets, springs and retainers) just wondering, peace

I couldn't tell you, send a PM to ALLJDM. He is a great guy and really easy to work with.

superstreet magazine is written by a bunch of idiots.

ctr and itr cams will make a difference, although you'll want to do springs and retainers while you're at it.

ya thats what i thought because type r is type r u no....and its one of, if not, hondas greatest motor so if should make a diff...they had dynos i but i think there still idoits

well, sport compact car admitted to having added 4 quarts of oil to a motor that already had 4 quarts of oil. so its my opinion that the majority of the magazines we read (besides car and driver, grassroots motorsports and a few others) are run by people who are good at marketing and advertising, not tuning cars.

i've seen and read a lot of things in both SCC and SS that would never be done by any experienced mechanic.

Back