Ugraded to SSD, such a pain...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
But the boot is super fast now. Old drive was starting to corrupt and some programs would render the computer useless until a restart was manually forced. Cleaned up the drive, deleted a lot of unused programs, defragged, and ran check disk to no avail. nothing would be repaired or found on the check disk. Ordered a new samsung ssd and couldnt get it to clone. ran check disk again yesterday and it took over 6 hours to complete/repair the existing drive.

then, ran into issues with downsizing the drive. none of the programs used at first were able to deal with trimming the c: partition to a smaller size. finally found AOMEI to clone with that was able to handle it. biggest issue by far was trying to clone from a failing drive. shit took forever. but it is done. now I have to order a caddy to convert the dvd drive to a second hard drive and order another drive for file storage.

would have been easier to start fresh. cloning down isn't a great method anyways, especially if you want to save recovery partitions. personally i've always started fresh if moving to a smaller, faster drive.

would have been easier to start fresh. cloning down isn't a great method anyways, especially if you want to save recovery partitions. personally i've always started fresh if moving to a smaller, faster drive.
I concur, I usually format and reinstall my OS every 6 months or so anyways.

yeah, I just did the easiest thing I could. I don't have a windows 7 install disk and don't know enough about the HP bios partition crap on the drive. it was a pain but it was done. Maybe I just don't know enough.

no sticker on the machine but im sure there has to be a way to find it in the system files. maybe. the main concern that I have is that HP has it's own bios system that has its own partition on the hard drive. I googled whether i could delete that partition or not and the general consensus was that it was needed. I don't know enough about all of that so i figured cloning would be a good way to go. if im wrong then I could always do a clean install later on.

Copy and paste the following into a Notepad window:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

You’ll need to use File -> Save As, change the “Save as type” to “All Files” and then name it productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension. We’d recommend saving to the desktop for easy access. Once you’ve saved it, you can just double-click and the popup window will show you your product key.

Back