VTEC-E with "regular" ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

It's been a while since I've been on here(stopped messing with Hondas for a bit). Wow, looks very different!

Anyways, I need to get my Civic back on the road since I'll be working about 30miles away starting Jan and will need something better on gas until I can move closer or get a job that's closer to where I live now. I have a JDM D15B that has non-VTEC valvetrain, but the head needs to be line-honed and I no longer have the old cam caps. Instead of finishing up the head, I may end up trying to run a D15Z1 head. I know they ran off of a stock WBO2 from the factory, but would it be OK to just run it with a regular ECU(P08) and a NBO2? Maybe just running a D15B8 map on the low-side and a regular D15B7 map on the high-side?

I believe you will find that the D15Z1 head on the non-VTEC D15B will result in a compression ratio of about 12.5:1 - the JDM non-VTEC D15B is basically the same engines as the USDM D15B7

The engine is/was a VTEC JDM D15B; I swapped over to Y7 rockers/cam and used a T1 VTEC blockoff plate. Compression will still but high(IIRC, around 11.5:1), but should be manageable. The motor was initially going to be built for all-motor, but now that I will be working about 30mi away I need better MPG and reduce the miles I'm putting on my Subaru(which is probably less reliable than a "tweaked" Honda)

Back