vtec...two power bans?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i bought a 95 Gsr two weeks ago. i have installed a cold air intake, exaust, and a vtec light. The vtec light illuminates at about 4900 rpm at full throttle, where a very subtle sound difference occures, also a little bit harder pull. Then at 6000 rpm the vtec picks up again, with a reduculous sound difference, and a lot harder pull. My friend put a vtec light just like mine in his 2000 civic si. When his light illuminates it has the hard pull and more intense, abrubt sound difference at 5000 rpm, as mine has at 6000 rpm, but the civic never has a second powerban, the civic just holds the "new tone" until redline.

My Qustion:
Should my vtec be at full force when it first kicks on?
Is my vtec just not comeing on until 6000 rpm?
Does the Gsr vtec work exactly like the Civic Si?
Thanks for your help.

the slight sound difference you hear is the secondary intake runners opening up

The light is coming on when vtec starts but it's not engage in either car till between 5600-5800rpm if stock ECU. (As far as I know but might be wrong)

hondas do not have "levels" of VTEC its either on or its off

its different on each type of VTEC engine ... not sure on the stock points

no they dont!
And Dont try to say i-vtec doea because it dosn't

i-VTEC

In addition to controlling lift and duration, like other VTEC systems, the "intelligent" i-VTECâ„¢system uses Variable Timing Control (VTC) to adjust "camshaft phasing." By varying oil pressure, VTC can continuously vary intake timing relative to the engine's exhaust timing. The result of i-VTEC is improved response and enhanced performance at low engine speeds and efficiency across a broad power band.

If I am not mistaken, the three stage VTEC is a VTEC engine with a second VTEC that is activated when the vehicle gets to highway speed. instead of the change resulting in another powerband it switches to super economy mode.

could be i haven't read much about it i just know of it. but thinking of s2k's on the highway, i saw one with a flapping wing in tennessee a week or so ago and it flew past us and then about a half hour later we saw a cop fly by with his lights on and then like an hour later we saw the cop on the shoulder and the s2k in the trees. sucks for that guy

the gsr engine (if stock) hits vtec at about 4400 rpm, but the secondaries are still closed, and at about 5800 rpm the secondaries open up

your correct ^ about the GSR with crossover in the 4's and the butterflies opening in the 5's.

Milan

Not sure if this helps but in the oem GSR the vtec crossover is at 4400rpm so that is when vtec engages. Now at 5800rpm there are secondary butterflies (kind of like small extra tb's) that open up within the GSR intake manifold, that is why the manifold looks unique.

Milan

Back