weird stuff happening

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

well, lately in my 96 gsr the mpg has raised. i am currently getting about 27 mpg with city driving. the weird thing is when i fill up the tank and unscrew the gas cap, i dont hear any pressure releasing.

the other thing is my car is taking longer to turn over in the morning when i start my car. what would cause this? first thing i thought of was maybe i need a new fuel filter? the car has the original one on. but i just replaced my cap and rotor not too long ago. my plug wires could be replaced.

what does it mean if i dont hear pressure when taking off the gas cap?

what makes my car take longer to turn over and start? i know its a bit cold out, but it bugs me.

well....my brother brought up this thought: when i went to get gas...i drove from my house to the gas station. less than a mile and i didnt get anywhere near opperating temp. could that do it?

what explains what happens when i start in the morning? fuel filter?

Well, since the air a little cooler, you get more gas molecules in there, could be a theory.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 14 2003, 08:34 PM
Well, since the air a little cooler, you get more gas molecules in there, could be a theory.

meaning in theory, a brand new fuel filter could fix that. i think ill try. it could use a new one anyway, and there not expensive.

even though i own a gsr... are they external or internal fuel filters? and where are they located?

as far as taking longer to crank over, check you battery condition. Check to see if your battery is full with electrolite. If it is low, buy a jug of DISTILLED water and pour it up until it is .5 inch from the top.

I know that this is your first cold weather with the GSR so what kind of oil are you using? If your using a real thick oil, that will make it difficult to turn over.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 14 2003, 07:01 PM
could be losing fuel pressure...

:werd:
might be a tiny leak/rupture in the fuel lines or tank. if you smell gas while driving or when near the car, thats got to be it. if it was a clogged fuel filter, your gas mileage would be getting worse, not better.

im using 10w30 oil in it since i got it. only changed it once.

i havent smelled gas any time driving or near it. if i had a leak my gas milage worse too...

hmm...any other suggestions?

when i start the car, it kinda bogs down for the first second or two, then the revs raise to about 1500 and gradually lower within a min or two to about 800 rpm.

but when i say bogs down. i mean it sounds like it has a hard time starting. like its not getting enough fuel. which made me think the fuel filter wasnt feeding enough filter

oh i didnt see that you have the original fuel filter still on there. the problem definitely could be that! i thought about it more and yea, if the fuel filter is clogged it wouldnt be able to send as much fuel to the engine, resulting in better gas mileage....just a theory anyway.

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Oct 15 2003, 11:59 AM
im using 10w30 oil in it since i got it. only changed it once.

10w30 does not work properly when you hit 20 F and below! It works well with in high temp. This could be the major reason why you are losing pressure!

Honda recommends that you use 5w30.

i live in new mexico...you may not know where this is...but its next to arazona which is a desert. it never gets that cold here. no where near 20f

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Oct 16 2003, 08:42 PM
i live in new mexico...you may not know where this is...but its next to arazona which is a desert. it never gets that cold here. no where near 20f

What brand of gas are you using? I'm in EP and I know that a lot of NM uses oxygenated fuel starting now til March...you could have gotten an early batch of that crap...my car always runs crappier with that stuff...watered down gas is what I say...

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Oct 16 2003, 08:42 PM

Sorry my bad!! You said something about it being cold out! I don't know!

Back