What blew up?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SG51CE

I tried racing a tiburon a few weeks ago. as we took off my car reved like hell and didn't get past 30mph. Something smelled burned puffs of smoke came from under the hood(really cold night). Just three days ago I turned on the car and took a closer look under the hood. It seems that the part of the engine that the hood lies over has a stain(brand new hood). Actually it is where the hood and engine meet. All around that section the engine bay is stained as well. I think it was the damn gasket but with five classes and a full time job supporting the family I honestly haven't gotten around to pulling out tyhe engine(B16). When I try using the car it revs in doesn't accelerate properly. I have a two year old clutch and don't think it is that. Please help.

Thanks

So then the stain on the passenger side over the hood is not the rear main seal(dude I feel like a moron asking,but I really miss using my "TEG")? I was about to purchase a rear main seal off some dude on ebay!

I guessed HG, I can't really tell you without a lot more info. Where it's leaking from would be a start.

It is leaking between the engine and tranny (besides other places). The part of the hood that closes over where the engine and tranny meet is stained as well.

As soon as I can get a digi cam I'll post picks.

Quote: SG51CE
Where do you think I could find a clutch gasket? Some guy on ebay was selling what he called a rear main seal. Is that it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

you have to get this stuff at honda it is the only place i know that you can get it the guy/gal at the parts desk will know what you are needing it comes in a tube and is about $8.00

:bangdesk:

Do yourself a favor and buy a repair manual from your local auto parts store so people can't do that kind of bullshit to you.

no freakin joke dude, this guy's getting walked on bad. :eek:

So I checked the oil level and found out that I blew the head gasket! I'm guessing that I'm gonna have to get the engine overhauled?

Or just change the headgasket. Check my sig for a quick write-up on it, to give you the general Idea of what all is involved.

+1 for haynes/chilton manuals. Great not only for how-to's, but it also has all of the nut and bolt torque spec's that you'll need to get the job done correctly.

When I checked the oil level the dipstick was clear as hell on the top and the oil was dark on the bottom. I'm talking about at 2000 miles since the last oil change!

Do you suggest I take the head into a machine shop to see wehat else is F*cked or just change the head gasket? Some dude suggested I get the block looked at also!

Last edited:
I'm gonna just buy a head gasket and a gasket kit. In other words, I want to purchase a Cometic head gasket and a B16 gasket kit off ebay. Any suggestions as to how thick I should get the head gasket and what brand of gaskets I should get? Thanks!

He he, he doesn't wanna listen to you Blanco, you'd might as well let him tear off his head and find that it's OK before he checks these messages...

i've been busy with my daughters birthday being this weekend and honestly I don't have the first clue where to get a compression test! All I know is that it's not easy to get around in the DA anymore. I really want to get it going. BTW I really appreciate the suggestions. I just ask you not to laugh so hard when I ask things that you guys are priobably already familiar with! Thanks!

Back