What engine is this or.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E-dogg

Ok so I went down to this shop that I work on my cars at and I'm messing around with my CRX. The owner says something about how he just got a honda engine back that he sold to someone and it's in this truck outside. So I walk out and look at the engine and it looks like a B18, but I'm not well versed in the engine area so I was gonna ask you guys. So I went to HMotors and it looks like the B18 they have on there. It has the 4 spark plugs right in a row and the different looking valve cover. I noticed at Hmotors the ZC head looks the same but that was a JDM engine right?? It's definitely not a D series. The owner said he THOUGHT it was out of an 89-90 or something like that Integra. He said the guy he sold it too was trying to put it into a newer Integra he thought but that it wouldn't fit. That didn't make any sense to me but whatever. You're probably thinking, why didnt you just find the stamp?? Well I looked but the engine was so caked with oil and dirt I couldn't find it. I sprayed it down with a bunch of carb and brake cleaner but still couldn't find it. I was dressed nicely so I didn't want to mess my clothes up cleaning the engine.

Anyway I am hoping it's a B18, he said I could have it for like $100. He said it ran, he pulled it out of a totaled car and junked the car. Basically what do yall think the likelihood of it being a B18 as opposed to a ZC is?? If nothing else I'll take my digi down there and snap some pics. Thanks a lot for any advice ya can lend!!

Look at the stamp on the side of the block. It will tell you the exact engine code, and from there we can tell you, or you can look in the Archives and find the exact chassis it came from.

If it was in an 89 integra, it was a dohc d-series, if it was from a 90+ it was a b18. Either way, the spark plugs will be going right down the center of the valve cover. The id stamp for the block will be on the left edge of the block if you are looking at the exhaust side of the engine. Either way, if it is running, it is a steal for 100 bucks. I'd get it, regardless of whether it was a d or a b. I'd just sell it if I didn't need it.

D16a6 or something to that effect. It's a DOHC D16, non-VTEC. Came out of the 1g integra.

Could be a B20A. Not a B20A5 or B20 from a CRV, but a JDM B20A. It was the motor used in 86-89 Accords and 84-87 Preludes in Japan for their top trim levels. 160HP, 6500 RPM redline. Drops directly into either car.

b20a-1.jpg

b20a-2.jpg

Funny thing is, sans the big ol schnoz and the header, that engine will drop directly into my old grocery getter. Formula 3 nonetheless... talk about a sleeper.

Ok I went back and looked where the stamp was supposed to be located. It is, unfortunately, a D16A1. So my next question is.... Do I buy it and rebuild it to sell
and/or for the experience or do I leave it be?? I'm not sure what I would use it for. I suppose I could put it in my Civic delivery car. Also, someone said it is DOHC? Is this true?

Well guys, I can't thank yall enough for the info thus far. It's awesome to be able to put up any general question and have knowledgeable people respond near instantaneously. Thanks a lot!!

its worthless. theres no parts for it.

make a coffe table out of it, or throw it out. those are your pheasable options IMO

Originally posted by E-dogg@Jul 6 2005, 03:33 PM
Ok I went back and looked where the stamp was supposed to be located. It is, unfortunately, a D16A1. So my next question is.... Do I buy it and rebuild it to sell
and/or for the experience or do I leave it be?? I'm not sure what I would use it for. I suppose I could put it in my Civic delivery car. Also, someone said it is DOHC? Is this true?

Well guys, I can't thank yall enough for the info thus far. It's awesome to be able to put up any general question and have knowledgeable people respond near instantaneously. Thanks a lot!!
[post=521753]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, it's DOHC, but it's worthless to you. It won't even bolt straight in- you'll have to modify one of the mounts for an Integra D16A to fit in a Civic.

Back